Chapter 1

The first sounds Penelope heard when she started waking up, were the disturbing noises of some construction site. She checked if it wasn't just a dream by trying to breathe while closing her mouth and nose, but soon she realised the sounds were real. Penelope got out of her bed as quick as possible and opened her luxurious curtains and window to check where these sounds were coming from. 

The moment Penelope saw what the source of the noise was, she got furious. Bulldozers and sawing machines were destroying the forest she lived next to. She thought of all the animals that would need to find a new home, and all the plants that would no longer be able to survive without their protective environment. She remembered all the happy memories her family and friends made in that forest. And most of all, she remembered the mayor's promise that he would never touch their forest, because he knew how much joy it gave people.

As quick as possible, an angry Penelope went down the stairs, outside the house and ran to the site to try and stop the workers. "STOP! Don't you realise what you're doing?" she screamed at the top of her lungs. The men turned their heads for a second, but continued to cut down the trees, one by one. Tears started to form in her eyes and it didn't take long for her to be crying on the sidewalk. Many people passed her, their only concern being their time of arrival at work. What could be more important than work, right?  

--------------------

Of course, this deforestation was to be expected. For years, policymakers and politicians had stopped caring about nature. In the year 2050, there was no wise person left who still hoped for their representatives to care. They told us we 'missed our shot at a better future, and should now try to make the best out of it economically, so we could all enjoy a wealthy, luxurious life.' Penelope never lacked something she needed, her whole country was incredibly rich, and she could basically afford anything she wanted. No one complained of course, and as long as people got to continue their luxurious lifestyle the politicians in charge were re-elected. 

In many ways one could call this world a utopia. There were some poor homeless wretches, but most people didn't care, as they assumed these homeless people were too lazy to work. Not a single cell in their brain that suggested there could be something wrong with the system.