Chapter 5: Memories

Marmaduke sat in the kitchen, still for once. He pondered over the two young children. He had originally known of Maria's admiration for the untamed Robin but had believed all Loveday's pestering them had just been that. Play. But perhaps they actually did care for one another more than they let on? More than they let themselves or one another believed. Perhaps...

Maria led Robin into the piano room and she sat on the bench

Maria led Robin into the piano room and she sat on the bench. Robin sat next to her on the lower end of the keys. She began playing Ben and Loveday's Love Waltz. Robin watched her fingers closely then slowly joined in on the other end. It was sketchy at first but after a few shotty notes, and brief instruction from Maria, the room was reverberating with a steady lovely melody that blended more harmoniously than even Sir Benjamin and Loveday could play it. The music flowed, like silk in a gentle breeze.

Maria looked fondly up at Robin. She was both surprised and pleased that he had learned it so quickly. Almost as fast as she had. Robin studied his fingers closely, carefully trying to avoid making any mistakes, and did not notice Maria watching him. But Maria did. She watched him with admiration, fondness, warmth. Her own fingers still wove across the keys, the melody engraved in the muscle memory of her hands, but her attention was drawn to him.

The song ended and Maria looked away quickly to press the high c key at the high end of the piano. Then she looked to Robin again.

"You learn fast." She stated happily. Robin flashed her a pleased, charming smile. But he looked a bit embarrassed.

"You have to be able to learn fast to survive in these woods." He said with a nonchalant shrug, seeming to brush off the praise.

Loveday meanwhile, had been watching from around the corner, outside the room. She was smiling brightly, touched. The lovely music made her heart soar but at the same time she was surprised that her little brother could play the piano. She supposed he really would do anything for that young lady. After a moment Loveday quietly slipped away, her mind a mixture of happiness and pain.

Maria reached over and brushed a lock of hair from Robin's eyes. He met her gaze, seeming surprised yet he didn't pull away. She blinked, suddenly embarrassed as she realized what she was doing, before she let her hand fall and rose, walking into the sitting room. His eyes followed her, confusion on his face. But he didn't get up to follow. 

Loveday was in the sitting room, starring out the window. A tear ran down her cheek and Maria worriedly hurried over to her and wiped her cheek.

"What's wrong?" Maria asked. Loveday looked at her.

"Oh I don't know. Just thinking about the baby...and my mother." Loveday responded after a moment.

Robin meanwhile, was now standing outside the door listening. He winced as Loveday mentioned their mother.

"Your baby will be fine Loveday. And I am sure your mother is up there, among the stars, watching us. It must be great there, always warm, filled with peace. Lots of love, no fighting, no hate. No pride. Anything you can think of. And by God's side. Knowing you are protected from the outside world, and eternally loved, never to be alone or cry, ever." Maria's voice was distant, as though she was envisioning what she spoke of in her minds eye. Her parents were up there too...Tears streamed down Loveday's face now, and hidden from view Robin's eyes were welling with tears too. Tears slipped silently and unnoticed down all three's faces. Maria hugged Loveday.

"That sounds nice." Loveday murmured. There was a long silent pause after that. And Maria seemed to be turning something over in her mind. Something that had troubled her for so long. 

"What did Robin do when I jumped into the sea?" Maria asked quietly. Loveday stared at her for a long time before she finally spoke. Robin tensed outside the room.

"When you jumped he screamed your name...He ran to the edge of the cliff...I thought he would jump after you but father held onto the back of his shirt. He started crying as he just stared down at the water. Everyone just sat there, shocked. You never came back up...we thought you had...ahem. I think if father had of let him go he still would have jumped in after you." Loveday murmured.

Robin had his back pressed against the wall outside, tears rolling down his cheeks as he took slow breaths, trying to stay silent. The horror of that night replayed in his head over and over again. The thought of losing her though had been, and still was too much. He suddenly let out a quiet shaky breath, but it was audible enough. Maria glanced at the door, sorrow in her gentle gaze. Loveday shook her head sadly. Robin had slipped away and Loveday watched out the window as Robin came out of the castle and headed towards the stables. His pace was brisk.

"You kids really have no idea what you mean to each other." Loveday murmured sadly.

Maria got up without a word and left the castle. Could she really deny what she felt for Robin any longer? She realized that she did love him...a lot. But what of the wild boy? Did he truly reciprocate her feelings as Loveday claimed? Maria reached the stables and walked in to find Robin brushing Prince.

"Shall we go for a ride now?" Maria asked softly.

"Sure." Robin said without turning. His voice sounded hard, but she knew it was to cover the shakiness in his voice.

"It's ok Robin. I'm not going anywhere." Maria breathed as she passed him, briefly brushing her hand over his shoulder.

The woods passed around them in a blur

The woods passed around them in a blur. They rode close together, legs brushing occasionally. Maria could not focus on the scenery around her. Her mind was too hectic, overflowing with thoughts that troubled her greatly. Maria did love Robin. But did he love her back? This thought terrified Maria. The thought of being turned down by someone she held in such high regard? Would it make things awkward? Would it ruin their friendship? And so she remained silent.

Maria was still pondering this when it happened. The choking sensation. She saw it this time...A large dark mass, moving around them. Robin started fidgeting with his collar again. Maria's eyes widened in terror as she heard the thing whisper.

"Death. Darkness. Death to life. Darkness to light."

The forest fell silent once more but the horses started acting up. The dark mass vanished. But the sensations didn't stop. Robin whipped his head around, searching for his assailant...whatever was choking him relentlessly.

"Death to the Moon Princess!" It suddenly roared in her ear.

The horses seemed to go mad. Princess reared up as Maria screamed, and started bolting in circles. Prince reared up too, before lunging at Princess, eyes rolling, teeth bared, trying to attack her. Robin tumbled off him, gasping for breath. Everything went black for Maria as Prince slammed into Princess with the loud sickening thud of flesh colliding with flesh.