Epilogue: Always

Maria held Wiggins. He stayed still for once. She stood next to Robin who stood next to Loveday. Loveday held Derrek and Sir Benjamin stood on the other side of her. Next to him stood the Coeur. Mrs. Heliotrope, Digweed and Marmaduke were fanned out on the far side of them. The rest of the De Noir clan and the Merryweather clan were all spread out behind them. There were two spaces next to Maria and beyond the empty spaces David and Nolan stood, smiling.

“Where are they?” Robin hugged. The answer came from the distance.

“Wait!” Diana’s voice drifted towards them on the breeze. Maria looked closely and saw she and Henry were racing out of the forest towards them. Diana’s pale blue dress fluttered out behind her, once causing Henry to stumble as it tangled around his feet. Diana left and kept going. Henry let out an annoyed exclamation and raced after her. Soon both stood in front of them, gasping. They quickly took their places. Maria linked arms with Diana, smiling at her friend. Henry wrapped his arm around Diana’s shoulder. Robin suddenly stepped forwards.

“Wait.” He said. He reached up and took off his hat. Maria was surprised when he leaned over and placed it on Derrek’s head. It was much too I but he peered from beneath it with an adorable smile that reminded Maria very much of Robin. Her Wrolf appeared and lay at her feet and her unicorn too appeared, laying in front of Wrolf. I smiled. I had feared the darkness might have claimed her, but clearly she was too clever. Maria smiled as Robin wrapped his arm around her shoulder. The photographer stood before them.

“Smile!” He said. Flash. The picture had been taken successfully of the happy family. Together, united in peace and friendship. Always.

THE END