Chapter 2

Chapter- 2

Mckenzie had to go home on the bus, so me and Westley said our goodbyes at the school doors.

Westley was talking about what he wanted to do that summer as we walked to Sweet Aromas, which was close by the school.

We finally reached the coffee shop, Westley held the door open for me, the cool air hitting my face. Hot from walking under the blazing sun, we decided to get lemonade. I went over to a white table, that we usually sat at that was by a window poring out sunlight.

Westley sat across from me and took a drink from his glass and set it down, now half empty. Westley looked down, blushing intensely.

"Are you okay?" I asked taking a sip from my drink.

Westley fiddled with his fingers, clearing his throat. "Well, I know we've been trying not to talk about that... thickheaded Pierce, but I believe we should." Said Westley. I knew I should've been concerned but his accent made me smile. "You said, when he left, he would come back for you." My smile was replaced with a sickening feeling in my stomach. "Did he ever say when he was coming back?"

"No." I answered, clutching my hands to fists. I thought back to when Pierce followed us to my school and how he explained that there are more worlds than this, but everything he said seemed to go directly to Westley. "I have a question, what did you say to Pierce the last time we saw him?" I tried to remember what Westley had said, did he say... brother?

"Oh, I—I can't remember." Westley waved it off. I looked at him dumbfounded. "It's not that important."

"Okay..." I responded slowly, "but I do remember that Pierce said you've gone to other worlds before. Have you?"

Westley nodded, "Yes, I was born in Merditie. I visited Merditie but only for a few minutes, it's so beautiful. Its covered in forests, ponds that have waterfalls, marble and stone houses that are gorgeous." He paused, smiling. "Hey! I have a crazy thought, why don't I take you."

"What? You can?" Asking eagerly, my heart pounded thinking that I could actually adventure to a new universe.

"Of course! I accidentally allowed you to follow me to Pierce's palace didn't I?" He laughed.

Then it hit me, "Wait, why were you going to Pierce's palace?"

There was silence again, "I was trying to go to Merditie but I fell into the wrong portal by mistake." Westley chewed his lip. "But what do you say about going with me?"

I didn't feel like Westley was telling the whole truth by the way he was acting. "Well, okay." I said finally agreeing, my heart warming.

Westley smiled, his blue eyes sparkling, "Great! How about tonight, I'll come over to your house at 11:00, that way nobody will notice we left."

"Sounds good!" I said drinking the rest of my lemonade, we both smiled.

*****

It was 10:30, I laid awake in bed staring at the ceiling. Several times I fell asleep but shook myself awake. Before we left the coffee shop, Westley said that he was going to text me when he came instead of knocking on the door, waking everyone up.

I turned on my phone, about the tenth time, to check if it was 11:00. Only three minutes passed. I pushed the blankets off to sit at the side of my bed letting my legs dangle. Pushing myself to the floor, I decided that I should get dressed before Westley got to my house and having to wait. Pulling my dresser drawer open, I grabbed some distressed shorts, a grey T-shirt, and green army jacket.

I stood back looking into the mirror. My hair was still wavy from that morning so I didn't have to do much to it.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my phone light up. I rushed over to my bedside table, picking it up to read the message.

Westley: Hey! Come down stairs and let me in! I came early!

The time was now 10:45. I ran to my closet, grabbing my leather book bag stuffing things in it that I might need and tying the laces of my black vans. Then I hurried down the stairs, skipping steps as quietly as I could. I reached the the front door pausing, looking out of the glass window. I saw Westley waiting. He looked up, seeing me, and waved.

I opened the door to let him in, the warm summer breeze brushed over my skin. "Hey." Said Westley in a low whisper, "Where are we going to go?"

I thought of a place where no one would go to in the middle of the night, "How about the basement?" Westley nodded in agreement.

Tiptoeing though the kitchen and down the carpeted steps, we reached the tiled flooring. I gestured Westley to sit on the green couch, he did.

"How do we do this?" I asked sitting, longing to know how.

"I'll have to explain it later, it's really complicated, it takes a lot of practice. Just hold my hands and clear your mind. Let me pull you along. Oh! And do not let go of my hands, if you do, you might fall into the wrong portal. And that would be bad." Westley held out his hands for me to take and I did holding them tightly. I hope the darkness of the room hid the pink color spreading across me face. "Now just close your eyes, it may feel a bit weird but after a few more times we do this it'll go away."

I closed my eyes clearing my mind of anything that I was thinking. I started to feel a strange tingling in my fingers running up through my arms and legs. A burst of blue light stung my closed eyes. I didn't feel my eyes open but I saw Westley holding my hands, his back to me. I looked down seeing we were walking on air, everything below and above was a misty galaxy look. Colors of blue, purple, black, and pink were spread like paint. Huge blue looking black holes were everywhere, they must have been the portals because Westley was leading me to one. He paused looking into the portal. I couldn't hear anything but I saw Westley's lips moving so he must have been talking. He looked back at me and smiled, taking a step into the new realm.