24

she smiled as she read her friends' responses

she smiled as she read her friends' responses. she shut her phone off and let it sit on top of the table as she waited.

she admired the building she was in as she sat in a four seated table. it was fairly dim lit and there weren't that many people dining this day.

nerves started to kick in and she could feel her palms start to sweat as she spotted a clock in the corner and focused her hearing on the ticking.

she felt a tap on her shoulder, making her jump in her seat, as the ticking became faint. she stood up as she saw the person behind her, and she gave them a light smile.

"nina," they said with a breath, not being able to comprehend her standing there.

"hi," the brunette smiled.

"can i hug you?"

the woman nodded and felt her body be engulfed. she felt the instant connection and she closed her eyes to take in the unreal moment.

"thank you for meeting me," they said as they took a step back.

"you don't need to thank me," she replied, "you are my sister."

serena's smile grew wider at the sound of the words and tears were visible as they welled up in her eyes. "you have no idea how much it means to hear that again."

again.

"were we close?" nina asked as the light in her eyes glistened.

a light laugh escaped the other woman's lips, "very. i would pick you up from school some days and you would come over to help me make dinner for mom and dad."

"that sounds nice."

"it was. you would even bring ricky along with you."

nina flinched at his name and she looked down to the ground so serena wouldn't see how tense she got.

"he treated you well, you know."

"can we not talk about ricky?" she spoke in a frustrated manner. "everything to do with him is just... too much."

"yea, of course. sorry."

"don't be."

"olivia!" they heard a man yell from across the room. the two looked at the direction of the voice before serena looked back at nina.

"one more thing," serena said, "your birth name is olivia!"

"it is?"

"olivia!" the man came to the table and wrapped his arms around her. "i thought i'd never see you again."

"dad, stop, you're making her uncomfortable," serena spoke.

"oh, sorry, oli- nina. sorry."

"you're my dad?" nina questioned in disbelief.