Chapter 8

Rhia followed Nolan's car in her own. He led her almost straight west and a little south to the hospital. She shouldn't have surprised. He worked for the Counsel, once upon a time, and was the head of his department in one of L.A.'s busiest hospitals. He could afford a house on the coast in a premier Ancient neighbourhood. That did not stop her jaw from dropping when he led her through a gate guarded by four large males in pristine gear with the words Drakos Security written on the breast. In the flood lights they used to illuminate the area, she could see the vertical slits of their pupils.

"Are those dragonkin?" she yelped as she stumbled out of the car. She stared back down the street. There were another two guards patrolling the line of oversized properties.

"Yeah." He called back, opening the back door to his car to grab his. "The Drakos Group provides security to Ancient neighbourhoods, gated or otherwise. Well, unless someone offends their royals."

She stared at him, chills running through her spine. "Royals... you mean... Ares and Quintiles Drakos? The dragon kings?"

He shrugged a shoulder before taking her hand. "And Ares's mate. Usually Ares's mate. Keoni is much better suited for the public eye. Ares is too combative, and Quin is... well... he's Quin. They also have a queen, but Luna hasn't come to the states in over a century."

"You talk as if you know them."

Another shrug as he guided her stunned form into the house. "I was on the Counsel, remember?"

"Dragonkin aren't represented by the Counsel, though." She insisted. "They exist in their own world apart from everyone. They don't care about human or ancient laws. They're too strong, too... old! What are they even doing in the city? I thought electronics just stopped working around them!"

He laughed. Her curiosity was adorable. "Only when they're actively using their magic. Their passive senses are more than enough to act as security. And just because they're not represented on the counsel does not mean I never had to work with them. They are extraordinarily protective over anyone they consider family and as stubborn as any creature that was born with the world can be. You should see them down in Brazil. I'm pretty sure they are single-handedly keeping the rainforest from disappearing."

He reached for the lights and flicked them on. Another wave of shock and awe rushed over her as the house's interior came into view. The front door led into an open foyer leading to a large living room with floor-to-ceiling windows. Another door opened onto a patio with a cold fireplace that led directly onto the beach. "Holy shit." She breathed, her feet moving her further into the house automatically.

The kitchen was just past the foyer, filled with modern, top-of-the-line appliances. The house was gorgeous and clean, but it was comfortable and had the feeling of having been lived in for a while. She glanced over her shoulder at Nolan. He was a few feet behind her, his deep blue eyes watching her. There was a flicker of doubt in his handsome features. "What do you think?" he asked.

"Its beautiful." She beamed.

He laughed in relief and walked past her into the kitchen. "Pick your poison. I have wine, beer, tequila."

"A beer would be great."

Nolan came out of the fridge, popping off the tabs of two brown bottles and handing her one. "And I think I already know the answer, but steak or salmon?"

"Do you have a vegetarian option?" Nolan went still, his eyes widening just slightly before she burst out laughing. "I'm kidding. One-hundred percent carnivore. Feed me the beef!"

He let out a stream of swears in a different language and managed a breathy laugh. "Thank the gods. I didn't want to have to kick you out of my house."