Chapter 13 ~ The book

We were at a large clearing, and Aang was playing with groundhogs, making Sokka annoyed.

"This is great and all, but don't we have more important things to worry about? We should be making plans"

"We did make plans. We're all picking mini-vacations." Responded Toph.

"There's no time for vacations."

"I'm learning the elements as fast as I can. I practice hard every day with Toph and Katara. I've been training my arrow off!"

"Yeah, what's wrong with having a little fun in our free time?" I said.

"Even if you do master all of the elements, then what? It's not like we have a map of the Fire Nation. Should we just head west until we reach the Fire Lord's house? Knock, knock. Hello, Fire Lo-" He stopped short, thought for a second then said. "Hey, wait a minute. Maybe we do have a map of the Fire Nation." He turned to me. "Y/N, you wouldn't happen to know your way around?"

"I've never been very deep in the Fire Nation." I confessed. "I had always stayed in my village, and I wasn't allowed to see the Fire Lord"

He sighed. "Well never mind that."

Katara spoke up. "Listen, let's do our vacations, and then we'll concentrate on the Fire Lord."

Aang opened a map. "Your turn, Katara. Where would you like to go on your mini-vacation?"

"How about the Misty Palms Oasis? That sounds refreshing"

"Oh, yeah, I've been there. It's a pristine natural ice spring. And I usually don't use the word "pristine". It's one of nature's wonders."

We all agreed and hopped on Appa. Once we were there, we were unpleasantly surprised. The oasis was dry and ugly.

Aang laughed awkwardly. "Must've changed ownership since I was here."

We entered a bar, and took a table.

"I don't see anything wrong with having one of those fruity beverages while we plan our strategy." I said, and rushed up to the bartender.

"Good idea!" Said Sokka.

"Two of your specialty!" I asked.

The bartender picked up his swords and cut a coconut in half. Then, he cut up some fruits and put them in the coconut bowl. Still using the swords, he picked up a jug of milk and poured it to the rim. He added a straw and a mini umbrella for show.

"Thanks!"

Sokka and I walked back to our table. I took a sip of my drink. It was probably the best thing I've ever tasted. It was sweet and refreshing, with just a hint of coconut.

Aang was talking to a professor. Sokka jumped right into their conversation.

"So professor, you're obviously a well-traveled guy. Do you have a more current map? Ours seems to be a little dated."

"Certainly!" Replied the professor.

He laid his map on the table. We all examined it.

"What, no Fire Nation? Doesn't anybody have a good map of that place?"

I resisted the urge to punch him.

Katara changed the subject. "You've made a lot of trips into the desert."

"All in vain, I'm afraid. I've found lost civilizations all over the Earth Kingdom, but I haven't managed to find the crown jewel: Wan Shi Tong's Library."

"You spent years walking through the desert to find some guy's library?" I exclaimed in disbelief.

In my eyes, books were only one thing: fire kindling.