chap 22

After hearing that the boy had finally come to, Namjoon had taken off running nearly the entire way to the tents, finding himself out of breath by the time he'd finally reached the curtain-like doors.

He stopped himself just before entering, a small voice in his head telling him that It's probably not the best idea to go sprinting in there when the boy is obviously going to be experiencing trauma.

Taking a deep breath, Namjoon steadied himself before entering the room that smelled heavily of iron. At first glance he saw what seemed to be a large pile of blankets sitting in the center of a small cot surrounded by wolves sent to keep watch, Wooyoung's small frame crouched beside it.

But as he stepped forward calmly, Wooyoung's arm slowly reached over to the blankets with a glass of water in his hand. And holding his breath, Namjoon watched as pale fingers peeked out from the tower of cloth, shakily grasping the glass and bringing it close.

The Alpha felt as though the weight of worlds had been lifted from his shoulders when a small voice whispered. "Th-ank you."

Though the voice was weak, and cracked from even the lightest use, it was enough.

Sighing in relief, Namjoon walked to the bedside, but just as his shadow hung above the bundle of blankets concealing the boy within, Wooyoung turned to face him.

The Omega's eyes held a strange message that Namjoon couldn't quite read, and as he glanced around the room, Namjoon noticed that Wooyoung's mate wore the exact same expression.

Namjoon gulped as Wooyoung stood from his kneeled position at the boy's side to lightly brush aside the raven locks hanging over Jungkook's sunken eyes.

A soft smile made it's way onto the Omega's lips as he spoke fondly to the young Alpha. "I'll be right back.. Finish that water for me, yeah?"

There was a slight shake of the blankets, and Namjoon could only assume it was a nod from the boy as Wooyoung soon grabbed his arm, guiding him away from the tent.
.
.
.
.

After reaching outside, a small stretch of silence ensued, filled with nothing but Wooyoung's stressed sighs, for every time the Omega attempted to start a sentence he resorted to simply letting out puffs of air.

Namjoon wanted to break the heavy silence and question the older, his mind racing with so many different thoughts as to what could have possibly happened, but being all too familiar with the feeling of speechlessness, he held his tongue and allowed Wooyoung time to reel himself in.

And after a few moments of forcing down the lump forming in his throat, Wooyoung pressed his lips into a thin line before finally beginning to speak, his voice hesitant as he did so.

"...Joon.."

The uncertainty in the Omega's voice had Namjoon instantly snapping from his nervous trance, causing him to let the words he'd held in roll off of his tongue before he could even wait for Wooyoung to continue. "What is it? Is something wrong? Did something happen? Is it bad?"

Wooyoung looked helpless, his hands gesturing around aimlessly before ultimately falling back to his sides as he rambled. "I don't know why- I mean, I obviously know why- but what I mean- what I'm trying to say is-" Wooyoung sighed, frustrated at his inability to speak properly.

"This kid-"Namjoon watched as Wooyoung's jaw clench and unclench, the words slipping past his lips with very obvious hesitancy. "He.." Wooyoung scoffed, sliding a hand into his dark locks and pulling at the roots before pushing forward with his shocking statement.

"He has a mate."

The humming of crickets had never seemed so loud to Namjoon, who was standing as still as death itself. And after a brief moment, he let out a strained chuckle, attempting to mask his discomfort. "Well, no shit, Everyone does.. Or at least almost everyone.."