𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. 𝑙𝑎𝑦𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡

Word count: 4692

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐅 the siblings filtered into the living room not too long after, a grim mood following them in. Klaus was the last to enter, not affected in the least by said mood as he grinned and looked around.

His hair was a wild mess, and there was a slightly crazed look in his light eyes, leading Elizabeth to assume that Diego had been right about the drugs. 

With a slight giggle, Elizabeth noticed the tattoos Klaus had on the palms of his hands, one saying 'HELLO' and the other saying 'GOODBYE.'

"Queen Elizabeth!" he gasped as soon as he saw her, immediately enveloping her in a hug. Elizabeth wrinkled her nose; he smelled strongly of alcohol.

"Hi, Klaus," she giggled, patting him on the back as he let go of her and patted the top of her head.

"Um . . ." Luther cleared his throat as everyone settled in their seats, him sitting on Elizabeth's right while everyone turned their attention to him. "I guess we should get this started. So, I figured we could have a sort of memorial service in the courtyard at sundown. Say a few words, just at Dad's favourite spot."

"Dad had a favourite spot?" Allison questioned as Klaus began to pour himself a drink at the bar behind them, and everyone else seemed just as confused.

"You know, under the oak tree." He gave a simple nod, looking around at them as if this were common knowledge. "We used to sit out there all the time. None of you ever did that?"

"Will there be refreshments?" asked Klaus as he walked over and sat next to Vanya, his whiskey in one hand, and a cigarette in the other. "Tea? Scones? Cucumber sandwiches are always a winner."

"What? No." Luther wrinkled his nose, staring disapprovingly at Klaus and the things that he held in his hands. "And put that out. Dad didn't allow smoking in here."

Allison narrowed her eyes at Klaus for a moment as she thought something over in her head. When she had come to a conclusion, she accused, "Is that my skirt?

"What?" Klaus looked down at the leather skirt he was wearing with a look of surprise. "Oh, yeah, this. I found it in your room. It's a little dated, I know but it's very breathe-y on the bits."

Allison rolled her eyes, sharing a look of irritation with Elizabeth as she leaned back in her chair.

"Right. Listen up." Luther stood up from the couch, his eyes roaming over the faces of each of his family members as he sighed. "There are still some important things that we need to discuss."

Diego, who was sitting in the chair next to Elizabeth, leaned forward, his eyebrows raised. "Like what?"

Luther looked over towards him and exhaled, "Like the way he died."

A look of bitter amusement arrived on Diego's face as he shook his head and jeered, "And here we go."

"I don't understand." Elizabeth tilted her head, her eyebrows furrowed. "I thought they said it was a heart attack."

Luther nodded curtly as he confirmed, "Yeah, according to the coroner."

Elizabeth's expression only became more confused by the answer as she shook her head and squinted her eyes. "Well, wouldn't they know?"

"Theoretically."

"Theoretically?" Allison repeated incredulously as she leaned forward in her chair.

Luther shifted his gaze towards her, an earnest expression on his face. "I'm just saying, at the very least, something happened. The last time that I talked to Dad, he sounded strange."