Introduction

I turn to run down a corridor, the halo in my golden blood covered hands, my feet are bare and slapping against the cold beautiful marble as I go. My chest rising and falling rapidly as I try to catch my breath and I pause briefly to look from left to right at a cross way.
Which way was it? Left? Right? Left or right? Damnit Shadow think! You don't have time to get lost!
"I think she went this way!" I hear one of them say from the hallways behind me, they're close, and my eyes widen as I decide on right and hope I've made the right choice.
Flying as fast as my thin legs will carry me down the hall the silken robe that was once pure white and is now stained with sparkling gold flows out behind me in long ribbons and I can't help but think as I run, brief as the thought might be, how did I get here? How did I, Shadow, lady of the night, professional between the sheets, escort, hoe, prostitute, WHORE.... ever make it here? Into God's holy court, holding the halo of Gabriel the arch angel as a favor to Lucifer himself? How did I fucking get here?
Well... I'll tell you. Might as well since it seems I'm about to die.
It was a normal day in my life. I lived as a hoe for Madam Macaron. I'd been her ward and working for her since I was small, though the hoe work didn't start till I was 18. She wasn't evil after all, just wanted the money paid back to her my no good parents owed to her.
Anyway, woke up that morning, got ready, and got to work. It was kind of a slow day, five guys all day. When my shift ended I was finishing up with number five when he passed out in my bed. I normally didn't bother moving them right away unless I was tired and even then I rarely bothered moving them then.
I pulled my cigarette box from my dresser and stepped out onto the balcony and looked up at the full moon above me. It was a clear night, fairly warm for Autumn, which was nice cause I was topless and just wearing my underwear, garter, garterbelt, and knee highs.
I lit up my smoke and took a hit off it and little did I know that right around then was when destiny's old wheel began to turn in my direction from the streets below...