3] A Connection of Spirits

"How is this possible?" I ask, standing stock still in the middle of the forest. A cool wind brushes against my skin, carrying a hint of pine with it.

I am not entirely sure. Its nice, though, I have not conversed with anyone for a long time.

"No kidding."

No, I was not kidding. Being inside a statue does not present many opportunities for conversation. Although sometimes the wind tells good stories.

"I...that's...you know what, nevermind. What did you mean you know why I can't remember Morwenna?" I rub my hand over my face, sitting down on an overturned tree.

There is something blocking your memories, I can sense it.

"Can you do anything about it?"

...I don't know. It's powerful for the magic of your time, but I could break it easily. The risk lies in the effects on your mind.

"Wonderful."

Blowing hair out of my face, I groan in frustration. One answer, two more questions, as usual. My gazee wanders and I find a rabbit sitting by my feet; his fur is a lovely brown colour with white splotches. His eyes sparkle intelligently, and I get the feeling he knows exactly what's going on.

I am sorry, I would attempt to reverse the effects if I were not afraid of harming you.

"It's okay, Kalan. I understand, at least I know."

...I can sympathise with your frustration, there was a time when I felt the same. The answers never keep up with the questions.

"Yeah, I'm noticing the theme with fae and their riddles," I bark a short laugh, appreciating the irony of my own words.

It is certainly a listable character trait.

My laughter is longer lived this time, and a smile crosses my lips. The strange feeling I have had for the past while now makes sense, it was Kalan and I connecting through our magic. Realising this, another question appears in my mind, one he is quick to answer: did he save Jasper?

We both did. You merely required a little help and knowledge you did not have.

"Thank you, Kalan," I say sincerely, my eyes once again drawn to the Northern horizon. "...is it cold up there?"

Yes, he says after a quiet moment, it is always cold here.

Being stuck in such an isolated place for so long without anyone for company...that's my worst nightmare. I would never be brave enough to do it, no matter how dire the situation.

"Why is it no one else ever really hears you? Ithronel mentioned it had been a long time since anyone heard your voice," I ask, beginning to idly stroll through the forest.

I wasn't aware they could hear me in the first place. No one has ever made the effort to interact, so I assumed they thought I was dead.

"Maybe only the royals can hear you," I wondered aloud, watching a squrriel scramble across a tree branch ahead of us.

Perhaps. But I have not spoken to anyone since the day I was incased in this silver prison.

"Jordan?"

My head shoots up, my thoughts disappearing as soon as Jasper comes into my view. I walk into his arms, tightly embracing him. Without my noticing, I had returned to Rainy Hollow and he saw me approach. Hopefully he did not hear me talking to myself.

"Where have you been?" He asks, wrapping a strand of my hair around his finger.

I open my mouth, pausing. "...I'm not entirely sure you'd believe me."