; unexpected reunion (au), pt. ii

ok this is becoming much more of a proper storyline than i meant for it to...i might move it over to my oneshot book or create its on book if it continues, because i dont know how sickfic-y it really is anymore hsjsk. lmk if you want to to move it so it doesn't overwhelm this sickfic book! (i hope you enjoy nonetheless <3)

"Louis, if you don't fucking sit down," Niall snaps, "You're going to end up as Harry's hospital roomie if you don't stop moving."

Louis winces at Niall's tone but brushes it off. They're both just stressed. He doesn't mean it. And, well, he has a point. Since Harry was admitted a couple of hours ago, Louis can't recall if he's sat down for more than a few seconds in those two hours. He can't seem to find a single fiber of him that is calm enough to sit still. He's too scared. Every time he stops moving and fidgeting enough for his thoughts to start creeping back, he can't unsee what happened. He'll start seeing Harry's face again every time he blinks.

The sounds of the horrible wheezing while he chokes.

The sight of spit dribbling down his blue lips while his throat closes.

The nauseating smell of antiseptic in the hospital while they're forced to wait in the sterile waiting room.

Why can't they go see Harry? Why won't the doctors let them in? Why is it taking so fucking long?

"Are either of you Nicholas Grimshaw?" A nurse's voice breaks the suffocating silence.

Niall and Louis share the same shocked look.

Nick? Fucking Grimshaw?

"Sorry, is that a no?" The nurse presses. "Do you know Nicholas Grimshaw, then?"

"I- No. Neither of us are Nick," Niall finally answers. "Um. We do know Nick, yes. Is he- Did Harry ask for him?"

The nurse shakes his head. "No, Mr. Styles is still sedated. Mr. Grimshaw is listed as Mr. Styles' emergency contact."

Louis wants to scream.

"Oh," Niall looks almost as startled as Louis. "I don't think Nick is, um, around. Can you talk to us?"

"Sorry kids, I'd either need permission from Mr. Styles, which isn't plausible right now, or I'd need permission from Mr. Grimshaw," the nurse looks apologetic as he explains the rules, "Until Harry wakes, I'm afraid I can't share his medical records."

Louis silently slips out of the sliding doors and heads towards the parking lot. He needs some fresh air.

And a cigarette.

Or two.

Or ten.

On his way out of the hospital, he almost bumps into a crying man who's rushing his baby inside and Louis finds himself tearing up too. He thinks about the millions of conversations Harry had started about having a baby. He's supposed to be with Harry. They're supposed to have a baby. They're supposed to get married and buy a house and have kids and pets and a white picket fence. They're supposed to be HarryandLouis.

But they're not HarryandLouis. Not anymore.

They're Harry and Louis.

That thought makes him want to cry more.

He tries not to think about Harry for even just a second, but it's nearly impossible. His eyelashes are clumping together with the wetness of his tears and his heart aches. His mind is swirling like he's looking into a kaleidoscope that's surrounding him with Harry. It's always Harry.