Chapter Six: Renovation

We got to the bunker and went inside. It was pretty cramped, so I decided to do some improvement.
Over the next few months, I upgraded the kitchen from small to large, I enhanced all of our bedrooms, and I added one for Anna, who'd been sleeping in Lindsay's room.
I also upgraded the living room to have a large TV and a couch. We had found some solar panels on one of the buildings and hooked them up to the roof. Since I finished a new kitchen, I thought I might as well cook a delicious dessert of Creme Brulee, with some Ginger Ale as a drink. (When there's an abandoned Walmart close to your house, you might as well take fancy things. How do you think I got all the supplies to re-furnish the house?)
I started cooking. That was when Lindsay walked into the kitchen.
"Jack is in his room tinkering with his sword and Anna is in her room making her bed," Lindsay said to me. "I'm bored,"
Jack walked up to us and said, "I'm going to the abandoned Walmart. See you guys soon."
He walked out, and Lindsay piped up.
"I'm sick of all this mess. I'm going to clean up this entire bunker," she said, and she pulled her hair up into a ponytail.
I helped her out, but it still took both of us all day just to clean the bunker, which seemed larger every minute that we spent cleaning.
At last, we finished cleaning. You would not believe how much dirt is collected by a handful of dinosaur slayers.
Jack finally got back, with no groceries. He kicked off his mud-caked shoes, getting dirt everywhere, and stomped off to his room. Lindsay and I watched him throw the blankets off of the bed that Lindsay had just made. Lindsay walked out of the room and down the hallway, and, before I could follow her, came back brandishing her bow with a drawn arrow.
"You have five minutes to clean up the mess you made before I shoot you!" Lindsay hissed. "Go!"
"Aye aye captain!" Jack hopped up immediately.
I thought Jack moved quickly when he thought that we were the FBI, but that was practically snail speed compared to how fast he was scrambling then. I couldn't blame him. I'd be terrified too. Lindsay was downright terrifying when she was mad.
Wow.
As soon as Jack was done, Lindsay turned to me.
"I have something to show you," she whispered. "Follow me!"
I followed Lindsay out to the back. She led me through the forest behind our bunker, into a clearing. Before we entered, she said, "Close your eyes!"
I did, and she led me forward.
"Open them!"
I opened my eyes and saw it... a garden!
"The veggies and other foods are over here," Lindsay explained, "And here are the flowers!"
I turned, and I swear that there were millions of flowers! They were beautiful, but I just couldn't help being drawn to the food.
Then I saw them!
The okra plants!
"I can cook tonight," Lindsay muttered from behind me. "Would you like me to?"
"Yes!" I exclaim.
"Okay!"
"Awesome! You go get cooking, and I'll do a patrol of the area around the garden, and, while I'm at it, I might, just might, pick some okra,"
"Okay! Just make sure you bring some back," Lindsay replied.
I walked off to the garden.
All that I found were a few footprints that looked like they came from a dinosaur, but they were headed out of the garden. I decided to go back inside, after eating some of the plants, of course.
I was about halfway to the bunker when I realized that I had forgotten to pick okra for Lindsay. I went back to grab some, then I went back to the bunker. For some odd reason, I was singing "Sound of Silence" on the way back.
    "What took you so long?" Lindsay asked as I got back inside. "The pot was ready half an hour ago,"
    "Sorry," I said. "I forgot the okra,"
    "You had one job!"
    "Oops!" I said.
I went into my newly-renovated bedroom and started singing.

   Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence
In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence
And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dared
Disturb the sound of silence
"Fools" said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence
And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said, "The words of the prophets