Chapter Eleven

For phys-ed, we were golfing. Outside.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me." My hands went to my hips as everyone filed out the gym doors.

"The sun's out," Reese encouraged as we fell in step.

"That doesn't mean there aren't any more storms in the area." I bit my lower lip, anxiety stirring as I recalled the storms that raced through soon after I arrived this morning. I'd run into the administration building and ducked into a restroom. Luckily, it had no windows.

The sun was indeed now shining as we walked uphill, shoes squeaking on wet grass as we passed the building that housed a hockey arena, heading for where a temporary driving range was set up. Two red-and-white striped canopies had been erected over the golf equipment. The canopy on the left was for the ladies. The guys separated and went to the canopy on the right. We would be hitting balls uphill, over distance markers.

The student parking lot was also in the vicinity, an artificially flat, blacktopped area that had been dug out of the main hill's gradual incline. Being in a large valley made it seem as though I were standing in the middle of some gigantic earthen bowl, trees rising above trees, rising above even more trees to obstruct my view of the horizon.

I was struggling with how trapped it made me feel as I searched the sky for which direction the clouds were moving. Were those dark clouds to the south moving away or toward us? This certainly wasn't like out west, where the land was flat and you could see an approaching storm from miles away.

Word was going around that a large branch had split from a tree during this morning's storm. A few concerned students were heading for the parking lot to check on their cars, and I guess why not? The phys-ed teacher didn't seem all that eager to start class, if his constant yammering on his phone was any indication.

Not that I was in any hurry, mind you. Somehow holding a metal rod with dark clouds in the vicinity lacked appeal.

I stood at the top of the parking lot hill while Reese went to check on her car, a blue Chevy. Apparently it was fine, as she didn't even go halfway down the steps before she turned back around, and then I spotted the fallen branch. It was more like a large stick.

"Everything good?" I asked when she returned, skipping to my side and we started back for the impromptu driving range.

"Yep." Reese grinned. "It narrowly missed the passenger side mirror by fifty-two feet."

"Wow, close call." I returned her smile despite my nerves.

Everyone was finally gathering to hit golf balls. I almost stumbled when I looked left and amethyst eyes met mine. Seeming like some average guy dressed in proper school attire—pressed shirt and pants, thin tie— with the sun shining on his shoulders, Micah was among the guys getting ready to tee off. So was the boy with the dark hair and incredible blue eyes from the hallway. He kept staring at me for some reason, his apparent interest making me fidget. I hadn't seen from which direction Micah appeared, only that he was suddenly present, stepping in front of me and cutting off my view of the other guy.

He was here; he had kept his promise.

Shifting my attention from him, Micah must have noticed I was gazing off into the dark part of the sky. When our eyes met again, he gave me a somber nod that mystified me before he turned to pick out a driver.

I jumped, startled when Reese touched my arm in concern. I was the only one on our side who was still empty handed.

"Um Aurora, Mr. Zinninski gives out zeroes for non- participation."

"I want to participate. It's just that...holding a metal rod on a hillside...with those clouds over there..."

"Well, if you are worried about touching the metal part of the golf club, you should have said so." Reese was rummaging through her backpack when I turned. My eyebrows rose when she pulled out something white, round, and flat.