Chapter Thirty-Five

Indy tensed right before Micah flew into her.

"Stop it! I'm fine."

"He knows you are fine." Alex's voice was surprisingly calm. "This is over who is most deserving of the group position of Alpha."

"You were poisoning her to keep her human," Micah roared.

Indy dumped the binders to catch his fist as it swung for her shoulder. In an impressive feat of strength meeting dexterity for the lanky woman, she redirected the quick motion into a pinwheel, yanking him off his feet. The kitchen table and chairs jumped when his back hit the floor.

"I've raised Aurora as if she were my own. I only did what was necessary." Indy's lavender eyes were savage behind the platinum hair that escaped from steel bobby pins. She shifted into a tense stalk, head low, teeth wet when she bared them, reflecting the kitchen light. "She's mine. You're not taking her away from me."

"Okay, maybe this is about you," Alex said with raised eyebrows.

Together we watched as Micah spun to his feet and sprang with a short growl to tackle his elder cousin before she could react, his movements so fast now they blurred.

The table jumped again, sliding to the left and tipping over chairs as the struggling pair jostled into them. Alex reached behind me for the faucet, turning the water on full force. I swallowed hard when I smelled something like hot metal. The air in the room crackled.

"Onto my back." Alex hoisted me before I could ask why.

I watched with wide eyes as, with a quick dunk of his palm under the running faucet, he brought up a stream of floating water. He suddenly spun us as he made a large circular motion in mid-air. A loud pop sent the kitchen lights bursting, and I started, surprised to see electricity playing brightly over the surface of a giant dome.

Alex put up a shield using the water. The liquid dome surrounded us like we were figurines huddling in a snow globe while Micah's intense electrical anger danced outside.

Together, we flinched when Indy grabbed a chair and swung it high with a twist of her body to where he perched three quarters of the way up on the wall, out of her reach. Apparently those who lacked a gender could neither command lightning nor fly. He backhanded the chair into the kitchen door like it was a stuffed animal, shattering glass and bowing out the middle.

Positioning his feet flat against the wall, he left dents when he pushed off—not to where Indy was, but where he knew she would move to when avoiding the chair. Catching her in a full-on body slam, they flew together into the left side of the kitchen archway, cracking paint and drywall before disappearing into the front room.

More wood splintered underneath somebody's weight when they hit the floor, and I sighed. "Ah c'mon, not the new coffee table."

The next thing to go sounded like the flat screen shattering against the hearth. "So much for the new furniture," I sighed again, beginning to feel depressed as the adrenaline wore off, and we listened to the destruction of the living room set, the one thing that had instilled this place with an impression of home.

Alex's shoulders shrugged under me. "Well, at least some good may come out of all of this now that we know what substance she was giving you."

Easing down from his back when he motioned it was safe to do so, I stood close while I watched him trail his fingers through the side of the liquid dome, breaking it apart. A wave of a hand gestured the water back into the sink, being courteous not to add "water damage" to the list of structural grievances. Holy cheese and crackers, who was going to pay to fix all of this? It looked like a rampaging bear had broken in. Although the insurance adjustor would probably question the fact that the backdoor was bowed out, not in.