Chapter Sixteen

"I am really sorry I'm being such a sicko," I apologized as the door to the restroom stall swung open. I hadn't thrown up, but it had been close. Dizzy, I walked past Reese and leaned on the sink when I got to it. I clutched my side as a deep breath sent pain through the old injury.

"It's okay," Reese said, coming up beside me. "It can't be helped, especially if you're coming down with a flu bug. Mom did say it's going around." Her mother was an E.R. nurse, ironic because the day Reese cut her head at lunch, her mother had basically driven her to work.

Reese placed the back of her hand to my forehead, and I knew it was clammy, but not with fever. I just hadn't been able to keep my clairvoyant shit together. Ten minutes into the movie, a light sweat broke over me. I couldn't stand being in a room packed wall to wall with people. The weight of so many emotions firing off went from barely tolerable to all-out smothering. Heart pounding erratically, a wave of nausea rolled over me, and I rushed from my seat, stumbling over legs and feet to fight my way to the center aisle with Reese on my heels. I'd burst through the exit into the lobby with a gasp, desperate to catch my breath.

Hand falling from my forehead, she touched my arm. "Ginger Ale or Sprite always make me better when I'm pukey. I'll go get you something from the concession stand while you finish up."

"Yeah, that's a good idea. Please get me a Sprite." Hopefully something fizzy would settle my stomach.

Reese looked at me with uncertainty. "You'll be okay if I leave?"

I nodded, moving my head slowly to keep the dizziness down. Giving my elbow one last squeeze, Reese left the restroom. I

went about the task of washing up. I splashed water on my face, relishing in the strength gained just from that. When I turned to reach for the towel dispenser, I found myself stepping into a trail of lingering sweetness: the concern that Reese had left behind, still wafting midair. I stood there for a moment and breathed it in; the calming effect it offered was a welcomed relief that left me feeling steadier. Thank you, Reese, for being such a good friend.

Exiting the restroom, I stumbled to an abrupt halt, finding myself face to face with Alex. I took in his imploring, rushed demeanor and my eyebrows rose.

"You have to come with me," he said without preamble, offering no explanation.

I took in a lungful of his anxiety and knew he was serious. "Why? What's going on?"

"When we have time I will explain, but I need to move you, now."

"But I can't. What about Reese?" I gestured across the empty lobby to where she was handing over money in exchange for my soda.

"She'll understand," Alex said. "You're clearly not well. Tell her I'm offering to take you home."

"That's not what I mean. I'm saying—" I motioned widely as if to fend off his angst, taking a step back. "I'm not leaving her." If something was about to happen, I couldn't run away. My mind flashed back to the horror of the ruined hallway and the attacking umbra. I shook my head and said, "She's human."

Having paid for my drink, Reese was heading our way. Alex noted her approach. He understood my hesitation, but he still needed me to comply. Speaking quickly, his voice went quiet, persuasive, "She'll be fine. She's not the one in danger—you are."

But I don't want to go. My gaze darted between my friend and Alex, torn as I wondered how great the danger was that he needed to move me. A lot, I guessed.

"Sorry, no Sprite. They only carry Pepsi products," Reese said as she came to stand beside me with a paper cup filled with fizzing, clear liquid. "I got you Sierra Mist."

"That works. It's basically the same thing, thank you," I spoke calmly as I feigned normalcy and took the cup from her. Bottoms up. She'd requested a small. The amount went down easily.

"You're welcome. I hope it makes you feel better." Reese smiled. "Hey Alexander," she greeted, then hesitated, taking in his on- edge demeanor before she asked, "What's going on?"

Stubborn as I crushed the empty cup, I was about to open my mouth and say something that would get me out of going with him, but then I turned to toss it in the trash and my obstinacy faltered. The vent beside the trashcan kicked on, producing a stream of outside air. Breathing in, I scented it, tasting the air to decipher any hidden meaning. Damn. I swallowed it all down with the realization that the danger Alex spoke of was real, and imminent.

I whirled back around and grasped Reese by the shoulders. My inner awareness sprung forward to delved deep into her copper eyes and plead with her heart. "Everything is fine." I willed her to believe it. "You're going to go back in and finish watching the movie. I told Alex I'm not well, and he's offered to take me home."

With the sweet smell of her inner life force spilling into me, filling me, I reached into her as far as I dared while I silently impressed upon her that I was sorry far more than words could ever say. Reese blinked up at me when I pulled out of her soul. I could see her resisting. Her established worry for me didn't want to believe that all was well.

"Aurora," she murmured, starting to protest.

"I'll call you first thing in the morning. Please—go."

I leaned forward, pressed lips to her forehead in brief farewell, and she nodded, saying, "Before school?"

"Before school," I vowed, and she left without further resistance.

"Okay, let's go." When I turned to Alex, his eyebrows were raised, but if he had questions about the exchange he just witnessed, he set them aside to ask later.

He started forward, maneuvering between pool tables to head for the front of the building as I fell in step behind him.

Pushing through the glass doors, I stood abreast with Alex at the top of the steep staircase. It had become extremely windy, the rushing air hitting us like a giant, open-palm slap, whipping my hair to one side. Alex lifted his arm protectively in front of me as a loud sound broke overhead.

My gaze shot skyward at the terrible noise. It was as though the wind was grinding up against something, the sound like angry steel resisting, defying, clashing with some unseen force, working hard to beat it back. It was loud in my ears, rattling my brain, and when the struggling sounds produced a brilliant flash that lit up the entire night sky, I'd had about as much as I could handle. My mind broke, and I was transported back to that night in the desert when lightning struck me and Mom died. I pushed past Alex and went running down the stairs, taking them two at a time.

I heard Alex calling out after me as I lost my footing, the solid feel of the ground disappearing. I was falling. My stitched-up shoulder struck concrete first, and then I went rolling. I tumbled down the steps with painful, jarring bounces before I was launched into open air again. I had gone right off the side of the staircase.

Pain flared when my bruised side struck something, and then I writhed on the ground with the wind knocked from me. Confusion gripped me as hundreds of fingernails scratched whatever exposed flesh they could find before I recognized the sensation as twigs. I had fallen into the shrubbery that bordered the movie theater. All the while I continued to see that brilliant flash etched behind my eyes.

"Mom," I wheezed through the painful effort to breathe. Blood filled my mouth from a bitten tongue. Someone was suddenly above me. Still panicking, I jerked in fear and a stick gouged my cheek.

"Hush, Eos."

Alex was in the bushes. He threw a blanket and himself over the top of me, saying next to my ear, "I won't let any harm come to you."

---------------------------

Oh jeez, there Aurora goes again, injuring herself.  VOTE if you think Aurora needs her own stunt double!