Chapter XIV

Becky

We exited through the crowd of 'dead' protesters and stood at the end of the road, her a little too close for comfort. I hadn't even bought that drink yet.

"That boy is looking at you?" She said, and indeed across the road a lad in a thick green coat was staring at me intently. He pocketed some crisps and hurried off down the road to join up with some friends. I'd remember that for later.

She took me to The Queen Victoria; everyone in their twenties drinks at a Wetherspoons. I will never understand why.

We sat directly underneath an enormous flat screen, Becky sashaying over with a devious smirk, a tray of drinks for us. Not one was the half a Stella I had ordered. I tried to ignore my displeasure by watching the television: Barnaby Wharton, MP, was being interviewed about everything that had happened. He maintained a statesmanlike strength in the face of grief, without a tear shed, like a proper man. I couldn't tell if this made him look more or less human.

The tray was put down, and I watched Becky take it back to the counter, sliding it with her finger. I had to admit to myself I stared at her wiggling across the grimy floor for longer than was probably appropriate.

"I asked for half a Stella."

"I got you these instead!"

She picked up a shot of something lime green and with a glare made me do the same. I did not pick it up with any visible enjoyment.

"Sláinte!"

"Sláinte." I replied, "Irish?" I downed the drink and I hate to admit, even I winced. It was like drinking cobra venom doused in formaldehyde. At least they had flavoured it with something, I just wasn't sure what.

"No, an ex used to say it all the time. Do you know what it means?" I couldn't tell if she was behaving ignorant for my benefit or if she sincerely didn't know.

"It's like, good health."

"Well, we all need that."

She sat back and picked up her other drink, vodka & coke. Mine was some kind of imported beer with an unpronounceable name, and I had to admit it wasn't bad. It must have cost a fortune though, coming from mainland Europe.

"So, Mr. Detective," She put down her glass, "How are you finding Thorngumbald?"

"It's fine."

"You don't say much do you."

"I'd apologise, but there isn't much to say."

She giggled, "It must be exciting, solving crimes and taking names." She had watched too much TV.

"It's not that exciting."

"What is it then?"

I tried to find the right words. It wasn't honourable, that kind of thinking would get you into trouble. It certainly wasn't moral, and the jury was out whether what I did was even legal. "It's just a job."

"But a job where you find out what—" She paused, "I do feel for that little lad."

"It's sad."

"It's more than sad." She seemed annoyed at me now. I decided to pick up the next of the green things she had bought.

"To making all the wrong decisions?"

"Heh, now that I can get behind."

I took her back to the B&B. It seemed the right thing to do in the moment. How could I resist? She knew herself intimately, and was willing to share. I asked why she wanted to give me the time of day, and she replied without a single word.

I leaned over her and picked up the packet of Marlboro Lights; I felt I had earnt one keeping up with someone half my age. I had to admit I felt a bit dirty, but I couldn't tell if that was my line of work, or the way she pressed herself against me under the sheets.

"When do you go to work?"

"Oh, I'm off today."

I was surprised, it was a weekday, "What do you mean?" I offered her a cigarette and she declined; I wouldn't get used to someone as gorgeous as her turning down a cigarette. It completed the image in my book.

"I work four days. Sally works the other two."

"That's six days?" People didn't get weekends like before, and on construction builds like this no one could slack. Someone had to be available 24/7 and a secretary on site. The fact every Thursday was left bare confused me.

"Yeah, Mr. Sykes doesn't like anyone in today. Says there's too much to get on with. Doesn't make sense to me." She chirruped and got rid of such conversations by kissing me on the nipple, which she seemed to find quite amusing. I barely felt it. Something was going on at Soames Construction, right now.