Chapter XLVIII

The Dam

Metal clanged under our feet. We had found some gangways along the edge of the estuary. We tried to call out to Godwine and his men, but they didn't care at all. They had been disrespected by those who had given them rights to practice their religion. That kind of heresy needed punishment. They lived in another world, another truth.

When we finally reached the edge of the dam one of the elevators had begun to raise up. Two of the cempan guarded the entrance to the next one along the way, huge industrial lifts glowing yellow through the low lying mist over the cold river.

"Bracinge!" One called out, raising their knife. I slipped under, and with some basic manoeuvres disarmed him, slamming him into the concrete to knock him out cold. I went for the other, but Yazmin had already dispatched him and opened up the second industrial lift.

"Hurry up."

"Aye aye."

We raised up to the top of the dam, the wind rushing, the waters below looking deeper and darker with every inch we rose to the great heights of the construction. I could feel in the lift the power this dam possessed, of the water it could contain. You'd never know how weak it was, that in a few years time this entire building was useless.

We reached the top and Yazmin struggled with the height, and I couldn't wait for her. Stepping out onto the top of the dam, the wind buffeting me, I could hear Yazmin yelling something but the air took it away.

I lifted my gun. I approached from behind.

Ahead of me, Godwine Seamark was yelling at a dark figure clutching a screaming girl: Becky.

"You cannot sacrifice to Wada! He does not see you." Godwine approached the man, but a loud crack shoved through the air. The Galdorgalere of The Hælsings fell, shot in the chest. I could see the barrel of the gun still pointed at me, but the man holding it had not expected to find someone else stood behind his foe.

Evgeny. He went to fire again but I ducked just in time, sliding along this high gantry towards the body of Godwine, using him as a shield. It wasn't pretty. But what else could I use with hundreds of feet drops to either side, just the wind for comfort.

"I'm just doing my job." He said, ready to throw Becky over the side. As she screamed, I leant out from behind the dead man's shoulder and struck Evgeny on the arm. He let go of Becky, and she began to run towards me instinctively.

Evgeny, hissing in pain, tried to raise his gun to get either me or Becky. I took the shot. Evgeny fell. Becky fell also, but into my arms.