Chapter LII

No Son of Mine

I couldn't bare to see Cola Bux, so we went to The Thornbush. It was a short distance from the walk home for the kids, and some of them, with their folder-bags and blazers gleaming, were heading back home, finding their bus, rushing into the cornershop across the road to get sweets for the final trek to the telly.

"Is Viv joining us?"

"She's on to her next assignment." Umberwood said, as she headed into the pub. I felt a pang, I missed her already. Odd that.

I was about to head inside when I heard yelling and I couldn't help but follow the sound: detective's instinct. I rounded the corner, and in the alleyway between the pub and the main road where the kids returned from home, was Matthew Shanks in the heavy-handed grip of his father.

"What were you doing with 'im. Ey? Ey."

"Nothin'."

I came closer.

"You were. You're a man, Matty. Don't you..." He went to strike the boy. But he wouldn't get the chance.

My own fist slammed into the side of Leo Shanks face and he stumbled down to the ground. Matty ran off, and I saw him join the Naughton lass and vanish into the crowd of schoolkids.

Leo stood, ready to fight me, "Don't." I said.

"That boy... he... he changed my lad."

I wanted to say something, but there was never the words for a man like this. You can explain and educate for years and they'd never get it, just scared they couldn't see themselves in their children any more. So I struck him again. He didn't bother standing up again.

"Where did you go... what happened to your hand?"

"Nothing. Half a Stella."

We found a corner booth and I rubbed my knuckles, resting them on the cold glass as I took out a roll-up. Margaret took one for herself with a smirk.

"Where to now?" She asked finally, knowing when to give me space, when not to ask questions.

"I dunno." The smoke wreathed around us, "Yazmin alright?"

"She quit."

"Good for her."

"Is it?"

"Probably not."

We talked quietly for some time. It felt nice to just talk. I ordered a couple more halves, Margaret G&Ts. It felt almost normal in Thorngumbald.

"What are you avoiding staying here?" Margaret asked in a subdued pause.

"Hmm?"

"You're not just having a drink with an old drunk to shoot the shit. What are you avoiding?"

It took me a moment to realise I couldn't lie this time, or pretend it was something else, or leave. I sniffed. Wiped an eye, "My Dad."

"Oh yeah?"

"He's in Lincoln. The Orchard, an old people's home." She didn't say anything else, just let me talk. I could tell my eyes were welling up, "I just left him there. He was a copper, it was why I went into the force myself, you know." I took a drink to stop the tears from starting too early, "He made me want to do good."

"He was a good man then."

"No." I shook my head, and I couldn't stop now, "He inspired me because he was a fucking awful man."

I drove out of Thorngumbald back to Askrinstough, across the causeway. I found nothing but a letter telling me the rent was due, and a single dead wasp on the windowsill.

I slept in the office.