Chapter Three

A few weeks later, Hamilton left for Pennsylvania alongside Washington. He left straight from the office, Thomas watching him depart from his window upstairs. He watched him kiss Eliza goodbye, and Eliza pull Philip away from his father so he could leave. The boy truly did love his father, he could see it in the way he complained, reaching out for the carriage and struggling to escape his mother's grasp. Keeping an unhappy eight-year-old wasn't an easy feat, but it was one he assumed Eliza accomplished often.

But Thomas could not say the same about himself, and actually relished in the silence that came with Hamilton's absence. For the first time in weeks, Thomas wasn't bothered by Hamilton's constant supervision over the damned letters. But it did get a little lonely at times, without Philip running in and out, or Eliza's voice floating around the building. He didn't miss Hamilton, but he did find himself missing the company that came with the man.

A few days after Alexander's leave, Thomas stepped out of the office when the sky was turning from blue to pink. It was the first time in a long time he had finished his work somewhat early, and looked forward to getting home.

Although, when he left the office building, he wasn't expecting to see Eliza walking up the steps, letters in hand and Philip tagging alongside her.

"Mrs. Hamilton," he greeted, surprised. "What are you doing here?" 

"Actually, I was looking for you," she said, holding out the letters to him. "These came for Alexander and you, but I don't think the author realized he was gone. I think they have something to do with the shipping details you were working on. I was hoping you could do something with them?"

He took them from her, thumbing through the envelopes. Recognizing the familiar handwriting of a dock worker, he knew Eliza's guess was right. "I'm sure I can. Thank you." He tucked the letters into his bag, and internally groaned at the last-minute work. He was tired of picking up Hamilton's slack, but he didn't really have the means to complain. Washington kept the man busy, that he knew, so it wasn't really his fault he had a lot of work to do.

Eliza nodded, and gave him a polite smile. "Sure."

He nodded to the both of them, Philip waving happily, and made his way towards the small stables on the edge of the office property. His white Camargue had already been saddled by one of the stablehands, which made life a lot easier for him. He secured his bag to the back of the saddle tightly, and walked the horse out of the stall.

Eliza was helping Philip into the saddle of their own horse, a little ways away from them. She moved to hop up behind him, but turned as Philip twisted and pointed at Thomas.

"Ma, look at his horse!"

Eliza smiled. "I see it."

Philip leaned over to whisper something to his mother, who laughed softly and shook her head. "No, he has to get home."

Philip wasn't happy with that answer, it seemed, because he put on his best Please, Mom, Please? face, and seemed to repeat whatever question he had asked. Eliza sighed. "If you ask nicely, and only if he says yes."

Philip squirmed excitedly in his seat and turned around to look at Thomas. "Mr. Thomas, can I pet your horse?"

Thomas couldn't say he was surprised, kids were predictable when it came to animals. It wasn't the worst proposition in the world, he knew, and it wouldn't take that long. So he nodded, and Eliza helped Philip off the saddle, whispering a command to be quick. The kid hit the ground, stumbling slightly, and made his way to Thomas. He expected the kid to sprint towards him, but instead he took a cautious approach as to not spook the horse. Mindful little kid.