Chapter Thirty-Two

After Philip and Thomas arrived back in New York, life went on as normal. Philip was home, Thomas busied himself with work. He forced himself to take frequent breaks, and on one such occasion, attended the Fourth of July festivities. People drank, shot off fireworks, and danced. What seemed to be the highlight of the event was the speaker, George Eacker, ripping into Alexander when he came up to speak.

Back before Alexander's sex scandal, Thomas would have found the whole thing hilarious. But now, he pitied the man, and nearly defended his former enemy. Hamilton deserved many things, but being publicly embarrassed a second time wasn't one of them. There was too much commotion going on, and Thomas hadn't even gotten a drink yet.

Philip was there, and Thomas had to hold him back before he moved to defend his father, hissing in his ear that it would do no good. He was sure Hamilton would have done the same, had he been in Thomas's place. He had warned Philip that the whole thing would be over by morning, and it was no use causing a scene. A glare was the only response, and he had shook off Thomas' hand before storming into the crowd. Day by day, Thomas saw more of Hamilton in the young man, and knew from experience that going after him would only cause yet another scene.

So he got a glass of whiskey and snuck out the back into the cool night air. No one was out there, with the exception of the horses tethered to the posts. Small groups of people stood around a fire, chatting quietly. No doubt about George Eacker's speech. Thomas wished they would just shut their mouths and move on, the Hamiltons didn't deserve their name to be dragged through the mud again

But after that event, the public seemed to calm down. But Philip didn't, and would grumble about it repeatedly to Thomas, and all Thomas could do was tell him to ignore it. He shouldn't have been surprised that he didn't, but when he heard a commotion coming from down the street one day, he looked over to see someone being wheeled on a gurney into a pair of double doors to the hospital.

He glimpsed bright red blood staining a white shirt and thick curly hair. Something painful struck his chest, knocking the air out of him.

It can't be, he thought, and he took off down the street towards the hospital. It was too much of a coincidence, too painful of a coincidence. No one questioned his hurry, and moved out of the way without a glance back. He reached the doors, throwing one of them open and slipping into the building.

 "Nurse!" he called, reaching a woman pulling supplies out of a closet. "Who was that just coming in? On the gurney?"

She barely looked up at him, caught up in her own work. "Philip Hamilton. Something about a duel near Weehawken." She turned, realizing who he was. "I'm sorry. It doesn't look good."

Thomas didn't reply, but took off after the gurney, which was being pulled into an empty room. "Mr. Vice President, you can't be in here-" A doctor protested, trying to step in front of him to block his way.

"Get out of my way," he snapped at the doctor, shoving past him to reach the gurney. His heart dropped into his stomach when he saw Philip, forehead shiny with sweat and tears streaming down his face. "Philip. Philip, can you hear me?"

"Th-Thomas?" he breathed, cracking his eyes open to look at him. "How...what?"

"Don't worry about me." Philip reached out for him, and Thomas took his hand, and felt all the pain Philip was feeling through the vice grip. "Philip, what happened?"

"I couldn't...I couldn't let....George Eacker...." It was hard for Philip to breathe, and he gritted his teeth, leaning his head back against the gurney.

Then Thomas realized what had happened. As the doctors ran around, shouting for supplies, he looked at Philip. "You had to defend your father's honor," he found himself snapping at the boy. "What did I tell you, Philip? I told you to ignore it-"