Chapter Ten

The sharp scent of salt on the coast was a stark contrast to the familiar scent of Eliza's perfume. The wind was colder, harsher, and it stung Thomas' cheeks. The minute he stepped off the boat and into foreign land, he gritted his teeth against the looks the French gave him. Clearly word traveled fast. Forget the good reputation he'd developed with the French years ago, he was an American politician and thus responsible for their lack of aid when they needed it most.

He hadn't even been in France for a day, let alone an entire morning, and he was already being looked at like he was mud on someone's boots.

But what did you expect, Thomas? he asked himself as he walked down the ramp to the docks.

"Monsieur Jefferson," someone called, and he was relieved to know who that voice belonged to. He turned to see Marquis de Lafayette walking down the pier towards him, and as he came closer, Thomas tentatively held out his hand in greeting.

Lafayette gave him a smile, and took it gratefully. "It is so good to see you again."

Thomas returned the smile, relieved. "You as well. I only wish it was in better circumstances."

The Frenchman nodded. "So do I. But you've got a friend here, monsieur."

"Merci," Thomas said, his voice soft. "I wasn't sure what I would be walking into today."

"I don't either," Lafayette admitted. "And I can't tell you what will happen. And I hope you do know that I am not here to take your side, Thomas. Just as you are loyal to Américain, I am loyal to France." He shrugged apologetically.

Thomas nodded. While he wished he would have a supporter by his side, he couldn't blame Lafayette for not taking his. "I understand. I just hope that this can be resolved soon."

Lafayette sighed. "You and me, ami." Friend. Thomas didn't think he'd hear that word.At least, not in reference to him. He didn't come to France with high expectations, but having Lafayette call him a friend was not one of them. "Come. Lla ambassadeur wishes to meet with you at once. I have someone taking care of your bagages, so you needn't worry about your things now." He led Thomas off the pier and towards a carriage nearby.

A part of him just groaned. He'd been hoping he could have a chance to rest after 4 days of traveling across the ocean. But he just nodded in thanks, his nerves building up again. When they reached the carriage, he cleared his throat. "Marquise," he said, and the man turned to him. "Can you at least tell me what I'm walking into here?"

Lafayette was silent for a moment. "We are not happy with Américain, Thomas. Our ambassadeur wants to solve this with fists, not with ink. And it's going to be very hard to convince them to listen to you."

Thomas sighed. "I can't say I'm surprised." His breath trembled with his next question. "What happens if I don't convince them?"

Lafayette swallowed. "Then your Président can do nothing about his war." He opened the door to the carriage, and stepped aside to let Thomas climb in. Thomas' heart started to pound again, and as he climbed into the carriage, he wished for the scent of lavender.

Lafayette closed the door behind them, and sat across from Thomas. The carriage pulled forwards and away from the docks. They sat in silence for a while, and Thomas tried to let the rocking of the carriage calm him, but his thoughts nagged him. They clouded his mind, and blocked out everything around him.

Do you think you'll be alright?

We're all friends here, are we not?

You're nothing without Washington behind you.