Chapter Seven

About a week later Thomas found himself standing in front of the large wooden desk that belonged to George Washington, arms crossed. "This is ridiculous," he said. "Surely you're joking?"

The President frowned. "I wish I was. But out of all of us, you have the best relationship with France. The ambassador won't negotiate peacefully over letters, and I can't think of anyone else better equipped to send over. No one in the cabinet besides you and Hamilton are fluent in French, but Hamilton is less likely to get things done and more likely to just argue."

Thomas shook his head, laughing. But there was no humor in it. "You do realize, with all due respect, Mr. President, you've brought this on yourself. Had you listened instead of taken Hamilton's side, we wouldn't be in this situation right now."

Washington narrowed his eyebrows. "Do not bring yours and Hamilton's petty squabbles into this or use it as a means to justify my actions. I am well aware there were going to be consequences for my decisions, but I don't need to be reminded, Mr. Jefferson." He held up a bundle of papers. "Take a look at these."

Thomas took them and scanned the pages, recognizing from the beginning Leon's handwriting. "Well, it's from my understanding that he's considerably angry with us." He looked up. "But I don't know what this has to do with my going to France."

Washington gestured to the letters. "I've been exchanging letters with the ambassador for about a month, and it's clear from those letters we're getting nowhere. We need someone to be there, in person, to reach a compromise. As you have the longest standing positive relationship with France, it only makes sense to send you to reason with them."

He handed the papers back to the President. His proposition made sense; it was probably the same decision Thomas himself would have made had he been in the president's shoes. "Say I do agree to go. What would I get out of it?"

"Money, power, more land." The President leaned back in his chair. "I won't give you just anything, but you deserve a reward for your efforts, should you choose to accept."

It was a generous offer, but Thomas shook his head. "I'm sorry, Mr. President, but I already have what you're offering me. There's nothing that makes a four month stay in France worth it. I'm sorry," he repeated, seeing the President's disheartened reaction to his answer. Clearly Thomas had been his best solution, and he'd just thrown it away.

So he proposed an idea of his own. "Maybe arrange a cabinet meeting." Thomas almost gagged at his suggestion, knowing with a cabinet meeting came an inevitable fight between him and Hamilton, and he would have liked to avoid it if possible. But being a cabinet member meant assisting the president, despite the headaches that came with it.

"And what would we do there?" Washington asked. "We've already decided on neutrality, and there wouldn't be much to discuss at a cabinet meeting, not until this issue is settled."

"Maybe they can propose a solution I can't."

Washington dragged a hand over his face, thinking. "A cabinet meeting may not be the best idea, considering a fight usually breaks out between you and Hamilton every time." He chuckled, and Thomas frowned. He wasn't wrong, unfortunately.

"Believe me, sir, I know. I wouldn't risk a spat between Hamilton and myself if I didn't think we could come to a solution."

The President sighed. "And you're sure you won't go?"

Thomas sighed. "If I change my mind, you'll be the first to know. But right now, I can't accept the offer."

Washington stood to his feet, extending a hand out. Thomas shook it once. "Thank you for stopping by, nonetheless. I'll keep you updated on our situation."