Chapter Twenty- Eight

After the gala, he found the distance between himself and the Hamilton family growing as work pulled them apart. He was often busy, and despite his political power increasing upon his return from France, he found that Alexander continued to be favored by Washington. Due to this, Thomas stepped down from his position as Secretary of State a few months after he returned to work, and elected to run for President. But not against Washington. The modern major general stepped down from his position as well as his health tragically deteriorated.

He ran against John Adams, and due to losing the election, Thomas received the Vice Presidency instead. But he couldn't complain, he received more respect from the public after the election. It was something Thomas had found himself working for, as his reputation was partially damaged from the events in France. People thought he was weak, and leading up to the election, it was clear not everyone believed he was strong enough to lead.

But as Thomas gained more political power, he found that his status was now deemed more reputable than Alexander's. Ever since Washington retired to his estate and wasn't recognized as a political figure anymore, Alexander found himself with less and less opportunities and advantages. In a desperate attempt to get a leg up, he released a statement to the public declaring the reasons that John Adams was unfit to accept the presidential position. Due to this, Adams formally dismissed the man from the Federalist party and encouraged him to be sent back to New York. It was embarrassing for Hamilton, and even Thomas felt bad for him. Maybe a couple years ago he would have felt differently.

But because Philip had been enrolled in a boarding school, the Hamilton's stayed in Virginia. Thomas found himself relieved at this. Even though he and Eliza had made it clear that they would be nothing more than friends, he did not wish to see her leave. They were friends, after all, and he cherished their relationship. He also didn't want to see Philip leave. The boy had become a son of sorts to him, and he enjoyed his company.

Two years after John Adams was elected into the Presidency, Thomas had to attend Washington's funeral. He was not one to cry, but standing under cloudy skies in a black trench coat, he let tears fall for the revered man. He regretted not being able to say goodbye to Washington, to the man that had taught him so many things despite their differences. He also regretted that despite knowing that the man was ill, he had only visited him a few times.

Following the days of the news of Washington's death, Thomas had asked himself countless times, What would you do if you had more time?

There were so many things he wanted to say to George, but standing at his casket that day, he found himself speechless. He'd met eyes with Eliza, who too was crying. Shortly after the service, she had found him leaning against the wall of the church, and embraced him. Afterward, when they'd let each other go, Thomas felt it was very symbolic to him letting her go from his heart as well.

But now that he and Alexander weren't around the other as often anymore, there were less arguments and fistfights. Thomas had thought that the two men were in a good spot. Not best friends, not even friends, but acquaintances who tolerated each other. After Hamilton was fired and Jefferson elected Vice President, their relationship of sorts had definitely been strained, but not ruined. But now, as he held a recent letter from James in his hands, he felt that timid comradeship crumble around him as he read about Hamilton's recent incident. Not published, thankfully, but one Madison had caught wind of.

James's neat handwriting made it easy for Thomas to take in, but the only words he could read, the only ones he focused on, were 'Hamilton's affair.' He ignored the fact that Hamilton had served his country well politically, and honed in on 'His poor wife.'

Thomas never took Alexander as a man to have a mistress. Let alone look at another woman the way he'd looked at Eliza in all the years of their marriage. He was, no, had always been devoted to Eliza, and she to him. Even during her and Thomas' flirting and moments together, she had always gone home to Alexander, had cut their relationship short because of her devotion and faithfulness to her husband.