Chapter Thirty-One

As Philip knew New York, he'd go out sometimes while Thomas was working, and visit his friends. Well, the ones who stuck by during the Reynolds Pamphlet. And once the two men traveling together became the talk of the town, Thomas noticed that old friends came back to Philip, to probably gain popularity with someone associated with a possible U.S President.

But those friendships were never fully rekindled, as Philip and Thomas never stayed in town long enough for them to catch up. And as the weeks went by, and Thomas pulled forward in the election, he figured that the two of them needed a break from something that wasn't city talk or politics. So he suggested to Philip that they'd go hunting, or some sort of sport away from the city, and he perked up.

"You really had me thinking we'd do nothing fun while we're here," Philip said, and Thomas chuckled.

"I'm not that boring."

"No, but politics are. What do you have in mind for today?"

"Were you not just listening to me?" Thomas teased. "What do you think about hunting?"

Philip hesitated. "That sounds great?" he asked, somewhat sheepishly.

Thomas raised an eyebrow. "What is it?"

"Don't get me wrong, that sounds fun," he said quickly. "I've just never been. Or never picked up a gun."

He cocked his head. "You've just graduated, and you don't know how to shoot a gun?"

"I have legitimate reasons!" Philip hit Thomas across the arm at the look he received from the man. "You know how Ma and Pa were about my education. I've been too busy to do any extra- curriculars, and Pa's weird about his pistols. Something about a friend giving them to him."

Thomas did know how Alexander treasured his firearms. His good friend, John Laurens, had given him a set of silver-plated pistols shortly before he died in a Revolutionary War skirmish. Ever since he had received the news, he hadn't touched the guns. It came to no surprise that Philip or anyone else weren't allowed to touch them.

"Well, I'm sure we could figure something out. Have you ever been hunting? Or your Pa?"

Philip shook his head. "He's only ever fought in the war. He's not a fan of guns, although he does like fighting."

"That is very true." He shrugged. "Well, I guess we'll have to fix your sorry excuse and teach you how to bring home some meat."

"What did you just call me?" Philip gasped, and Thomas stepped out of the room before the boy could do anything.

"Get your boots and an old shirt!" he called over his shoulder.

"Wait, we're going now?" Philip ran out after him.

"Yeah. Unless you're too scared," Thomas teased again. He ducked as a shoe flew past his head. "Boy, with that kind of accuracy, we'll be out there for hours."

"Hey!" Philip yelped. "I'll show you! You'll see, I'm not a bad shot!"

"We'll see."

So later that afternoon, Philip and Thomas found themselves standing deep in the woods, with a few firearms propped up against a tree. Thomas had made it a habit to store a couple guns on his estate, as being a powerful political figure meant having enemies, and it came in handy today.

"Okay, these aren't exactly new, but they shoot just fine." Thomas turned to Philip and handed him a pistol. "Rule number one, don't aim the barrel at me, your face, or your foot."

Philip held the gun away from his body. "Uh-"

"Don't be scared of it. You're the one in control, so act like it." He dug through a satchel, and produced two lead balls. He explained how to load it, and to expect a small recoil from the shot. Once Philip had gotten down the basics of loading and reloading, he told him about how to fire it correctly.