Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Dominic woke early the next morning, going to the small mirror on his mantel piece. He picked up the magical device and spoke a keyword into it. He waited patiently and began to hear sound coming from it. He straightened up a bit and waited to see his mother's face.

"Morning son, how are things going?" She looked like she had just been in an argument with someone; her hair was sticking out in places.

"Morning to you, mother. I have good news. The wedding is three weeks from today. Your presence will be required in the- -" there was a flash of light and a clattering as he toppled to the floor.

"Bout time. I needed a reason to escape that place. Things have gotten a bit lively as of late." Dominic raised an eyebrow at his mother, question hanging very clearly in the air. "A skirmish broke out in the village at the base of the valley. It's been going off and on for the last couple of days since you left."

"Why didn't you tell me? I could have come to help... talked some sense into the villagers." Dominic was concerned, often as a child he had played with the children in that village; it was where his sword master came from.

Miranda walked forward, and held her son for a moment. "I didn't want to worry you. Besides, you had spent far too much time away from my daughter-in-law. You should be here, taking care of her and this town, not setting out to solve the world's problems." She kissed her son on the cheek, and turned around to start picking up her mess.

"Don't worry about that mother... everything is going to get messy today. I'll clean that up, you go get dressed. You and Maya have a lot to talk about today."

Miranda ignored her son and continued to clean up her mess until it was all done. Only when she was finished did she heed his words and begin to ready herself to meet her daughter-in-law face to face. She had already been talking with her over the last month, getting to know her, and teaching her via the mirror how to do certain things for healing.

She had already thoroughly discussed various things with Maya, everything was in place already, the preparations and planning, she just needed to reach out and contact the proper people. After a good bath, and getting dressed, she came back out into the house to the smell of cooking meat in the fire place. She inhaled deeply, "Sausage on my first day here, darling? Are you trying to put more meat on these old bones?"

Dominic chuckled to himself at that last bit. "The sausage was for me. I know your diet, mother. But, if you want one, I'll gladly share."

"I was just teasing you, Dominic. I'll grab something to eat with Maya; she should be right about done getting dressed by now." It was then that Dominic realized his mother had been talking to Maya on a very frequent basis, thanks to the mirrors. He just shook his head and laughed lightly as his mother walked out the door, heading to see his future wife.

There wasn't much that he was needed for today, so he decided to take it slow. He had an idea of what he was going to do, but later in the day he would go into his basement and start to prepare all of the items that were down there. It was drawing closer and closer to the times in which they would be needed. And as a result, they had started to gain back their luster, their life. He would spend the rest of the day polishing, cleaning, and putting away these items until they were really needed.

*************************

Maya was scrambling about her house, trying to finish dressing herself after noticing Miranda exit Dominic's house. She quickly tied back her hair, straightened her dress, and met Miranda at her door. "Morning, Miranda. Pleasure to see you here today. I take it Dominic told you the wedding was to be soon."