the challenge

After work, you searched on Google, "Mirai Sasaki" and "Sir Nighteye." You read as much about him as possible and then you watched some of his interviews. He was blunt. And intelligent. Sometimes he came off as cold and rude, but you knew him better than how he was portrayed by the media.

Afterwards, you looked up "How to find a hero." Quite a few things popped up, including cases of stalking heroes, but only one really caught your eye. It was the craziest search result you'd ever seen.

The Tower Challenge. There was a challenge a few months ago where kids would jump off tall buildings hoping that heroes would come to their rescue. Sometimes it worked... other times it didn't. You shook your head reading the articles about the deaths. A voice in the back of your head told you to try it. To risk it to see Mirai again. If it didn't work, then at least you'd die. 'Win-win.'  You thought sadly. 'No. Don't.'  You shook your head again as if it would make the thoughts go away. Then all of the air in your lungs left. Mirai looked into your future. That meant, if you jumped off, he had to have seen it.

Before you could think, your feet acted on their own and brought you all the way up to the roof of your building. You stood on the side looking over the edge. Your heartbeat pounded loudly in your ears. Just like you'd see everyone in the movies do, you outstretched your arms in a T pose. Having faith in Mirai, you leaned forward and closed your eyes. However, you didn't fall forward. You didn't even move a single inch. You opened your eyes and saw the busy street and car lights in the dark. You flailed your arms as you looked down, and then you felt your shirt tighten.

"Don't move like that. I'll lose grip." Mirai pulled you back down from the edge. He looked down at you with a serious face. "You're an idiot."

"I just wanted to see you." You breathed out.

"Well you succeeded." He turned around and walked toward the stairs.

"If you go I'll jump!" He stopped in his tracks. He had seen this encounter briefly when he looked into your future, but he didn't know how it ended.

"You're bluffing."

"Then why'd you stop?" In response, he opened the door and went back inside. You followed after him.

"I'm sorry. I'm not trying to threaten you or anything. Although... why would you care about my death? Anyways... I'm just really lonely. Please just stay. Or talk to me." There was an internal struggle in Mirai. On one hand he could leave this depressed person alone after they asked for help, or he could stay and go down a dangerous path that would end in her untimely death. 'Die today or die in a few years? No matter what it's going to happen... so why am I trying to stop it from happening? I've tried changing the future. Do I tell her? What do I do? How am I supposed to decide? I'm not a god. I shouldn't have these abilities. To choose and have a person go down one path over another. It's out of my jurisdiction.' Although he had a full debate in his head, only a few seconds passed.

"Okay. I'll stay. For 10 minutes." Your face brightened. You led the way to your apartment, then stopped.

"What is it?"

"Uh... my whole apartment is just boxes right now. Can we go somewhere else?"

"Fine." Mirai hid his shaking hands in his pockets which you noticed.

"Is it really that bad? How I die?"

"What makes you think that?" They made their way out of the building.

"The way you're acting... childbirth isn't the way I die. Is it?"

"It's better if you don't know the details."

"Why? You said it can't be changed so... and it is my death. I think I deserve to know."

"I already told you."

"You told me the truth?"

"As you said. It's your death and you deserve to know."

"You didn't tell me who the father is or if the baby turns out okay."

"I need to go now." Before you could object, he disappeared. Feeling dejected, you walked back upstairs to your apartment.