Chapter Two

11 October, 1942

"Eve, wake up!"

Evangeliya opened her eyes to see Walburga standing above her, tying her green and silver tie around her neck.

"Come on, get up. You slept through breakfast, classes start soon."

Evangeliya quickly sat up and apologized, throwing on her robes and quickly brushing through her hair, tying two front strands behind the back of her head.

"Um, Wal?" She said, looking up at her friend who was applying dark red lipstick on her lips.

"Yes?"

"Could you um, help me with this?" She asked, holding up her tie.

Walburga chucked and made her way over, quickly and easily tying the tie around her neck.

Evangeliya never had to wear ties back at Durmstrang, for their uniforms consisted of a long sleeve dark red shirt, a black corset, and a black skirt.

Once Walburga was finished, Evangeliya thanked her, and the two made their way down to potions for their first class, which according to Walburga, was lucky, because the their head of house taught that class, and wouldn't be too angry if they were a little late.

Like Walburga had predicted, the two were a bit late, which made her upset, but she didn't tell Evangeliya that.

"Ah, Miss. Black, Miss. Ivankov, so kind of you two to join us." The man said. He happened to be the same heavy teacher from the night before that had brought out the stool and old hat for her to be sorted.

"Our apologies, Professor Slughorn." Walburga said. "Miss. Ivankov tells me that her studies at Durmstrang didn't start as early as ours. She over slept a bit." Walburga smiled at Professor Slughorn, and Evangeliya did the same, however this was a lie. Everyone had to wake at five o'clock every morning for studies. Slughorn returned the smile and said,

"No worries Miss. Black, Miss. Ivankov, please take your seats."

The girls did as they were told and took their seats next to Medusa and Rosetta.

"Thank you." Evangeliya mouthed to Walburga.

"No worries." She replied with a smile.

The class was quite easy. Evangeliya always did well in potions back in Durmstrang. They did a basic lesson on Everlasting Elixirs, and at the end of the lesson, were instructed to write two rolls of parchment about the ingredients and properties of the potion, and facts regarding it.

The rest of the day was easy, in Evangeliya's opinion, she proved herself to be talented in all of her classes, especially potions and defenses against the dark arts, however, after her transfiguration class, Evangeliya left in a bit of a bad mood.

They had to practice vanishing spells that day, and though she wasn't the only one who struggled, it irritated her that she struggled at all. Evangeliya always had to be the best at everything, and grew angry when she wasn't.

As she walked back to the common room after her last class, someone had happened to catch up with her.

"Hey,"

Evangeliya turned around to see Abraxas Malfoy, slightly panting, as if he ran to get to her.

"Hello," She greeted him, turning back to the serpent portrait, speaking out the password, however, the snake did not open.

She turned to Abraxas. "Why won't it open?" She asked, slightly upset.

Abraxas awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. "I, uh, I don't think it can... understand you..." He told her.