Chapter Five

31 October, 1942

It had been three days since Abraxas informed his master that Evangeliya wanted him to stay away, and he was doing just that.

Abraxas had told Evangeliya that Tom had agreed, after some persuasion, and she showered her friend with thanks.

She was enjoying the peace of her business being her own. She truly regretted telling Abraxas about her expulsion, she wasn't sure why she thought he'd keep it to himself.

But she wasn't angry with Abraxas. He was a new person, he couldn't be trusted, it was her own mistake.

She didn't want to think about Tom Riddle, he had tried to invade her mind, he continued pestering her after she had made it clear that the situation at Durmstrang was not for him to know.

Halloween at Durmstrang wasn't significant, nothing about Halloween day changed or affected the institute.

Hogwarts however, was apparently a very festive school. The castle had been coated with creepy and holiday appropriate decorations. Professor Binns even paused their normal lesson to tell the class all about the magical history of ancient Samhain, which took place at the midpoint between the fall equinox and the winter solstice.

The great hall was of the most decorated. Hundreds if not thousands of jack-o-lanterns floated where regular white candles originally would. Hundreds of living bats flew throughout the entire hall. Orange streamers hung everywhere and the entire room smelled of pumpkin spice and cinnamon.

The post arrived during breakfast, and a giant black Eurasian Eagle-owl dropped a black envelope right in front of Evangeliya, sealed with dark red wax and pressed with the Ivankov Coat of Arms.

"My parents," Said Evangeliya, in response to Walburga's curious gaze.

She carefully unsealed the letter and pulled out a piece of parchment written in her mother's beautiful calligraphy.

My Darling Evangeliya,

Your father and I feared that this would happen, Hogwarts has always been rather diverse. We can not apologize more for subjecting you to such things, such people, we never wanted you surrounded by such an environment. However, you need an education, you need to graduate. The whole of Bulgaria needs you, and once you are through with that disgraceful school of magic, your throne will be here waiting for you. You were born to be great, Evangeliya. Show your country what you were made to be.

Your loving mother,
Katia M. Ivankov

Evangeliya quickly crumpled her letter and swiftly turned her head to Walburga, who was reading over her shoulder.

"You didn't... happen to read that... did you?" Asked Evangeliya awkwardly.

Walburga gulped down her tea. "No." She said. "Of course not."

Evangeliya glared at her, knowing Walburga was lying. "Are you sure?" she asked in suspicion.

"Okay, well maybe." Walburga caved. "I didn't mean to be nosy, I just happened to be reading it with you it wasn't to be intruding—I swear—but then I got the sense that, maybe I shouldn't have been reading it."

Evangeliya sighed. "Don't worry about it."

Walburga's eyes widened, and a weight had just been taken off of her chest.

"I was asking because I was embarrassed." She said calmly. "My mother has such a royal complex because of our ancient and noble blood status back in Bulgaria. It gets quite intense at times."