7. unknown

"Look at what I got," I lift my keys into mid-air as I walk into the humid apartment with a dull-looking Shar seated by the kitchen table.

"Can I write you a check now?" she says unbothered.

"For what?"

"For petrol," she says, "just because I'm from the middle east doesn't mean I hump-backed an indecipherable amount of petrol on my way in."

"You didn't?"

She gives me an ugly look and continues eating her peanut butter toasted bread, "I'll make it up to you," I say, "I'll drive you around?"

"I didn't travel miles to die in your busted honda civic."

I grab a glass of water and walk over to the tap "It's not busted. They put new headlights in."

It's busted!

The headlights were just a small favour the dealer put in for me. When you're a driver like myself, you become a regular customer of theirs.
I've had this car since I was 20. Yes, that might have been five years ago and through three accidents and countless repairs, but it's the first thing I ever bought for myself, with my own hard-earned money. Half of it came from my father, but that was for emotional damage. I earned that too.
I've been told to buy a new one. A new car isn't on my agenda right now and it's not because I'm too poor and broke right now because I could always ask my father to pay for it; I'm past my humble phase. It's just that the idea of buying something to replace another troubles me, especially if it serves the same purpose and is still working.

Don't think too much about it, I'm just playing my part by not contributing to global warming.

"Let's go out tonight. Just you and I. Drinks on me," I propose and knowing Shar, she'll never refuse a free night out.

She'll have to pay for her own train ticket though. I'm not driving.

The 'you and I' part of my proposal went through one ear and out the other with Shar. She invited her other friends and even though I had imagined it just being her and I for the night, the night is well spent. Though the following morning is hell. As expected. I am parched and certainly sure I'm not in my room when I wake up. Though I can put a face to the stranger I came herewith. I quickly get up and walk to the kitchen to grab myself a glass of water to drink.

"Hello," someone says from behind me.

"Hi?" I whip my head around, "sorry, um you are not-"

"No, no I'm not," the guy replies as he continues staring at me with a mug in his hand.

I pull my cardigan tighter around my torso. I might have been confident enough to walk around the streets at night in this dress, but parched and hungover me isn't as confident., "Uhm, where is uh-he?" I scratch my head.

Yes, I forgot his name.

"Noah," he says with a grin, "just dashed out. He'll be back."

Oh yes. Noah. Noah with the ark. Just so we're clear. I don't actually venture out on a quest with a bible, picking up all the guys with those names. It's absolute sheer coincidence.

"Right, thanks," I say biting the inside of my cheek, preventing myself from screaming. I don't even know where my bag is. I'm stuck.

The weird mug guy leaves me in the kitchen and disappears into one of the rooms. A few minutes later when the main door finally opens I stand up from the couch and straighten my dress.

"Have you seen my stuff?" I ask and Noah looks a bit taken back but recollects himself.

"Hi, you're awake," he says with a smile, "Uhm your stuff is in George's car."

"Who's George?"

"My housemate," he walks past me, "George," he calls out.

"Oh, him," I say as the mug guy from earlier walks out of his room and answers. "Can I get my stuff please?" I continue.

He looks at Noah, "She left her bag in your car," Noah validates.

He walks back into his room and a minute later he walks back out with keys in his hands, "Don't forget your friend,' he says walking past me.

It takes me a minute to register what he just said, but true to his words, Shar is laid face flat on his bed, unmoving.

The train ride home was brutal. We looked like hell and the stares didn't help make us feel any better. The people were louder, the ride was long, the train tracks made much more noise. Everything was just exaggerated.
I don't see myself ever doing that again, especially with two housemates. I draw the line at having one night stands and dating housemates with Shar. I can't handle the claustrophobic-ness of it all. Space even between friends is highly recommended. I took an oath that day Jona and Tim walked into the coffee shop. There's also the "locker room" talk that they would possibly have about us. Comparing our boobs and talking about how the previous night was. I just draw the line.
When we finally set foot into the apartment we both ran to our significant showers. There's nothing like a warm bath after a night of sweat exchange and cigarette smoke.

"Your phone has been ringing," a relaxed Shar says from my bed just as I climb out of my shower a towel wrapped around my body, "I bet you it's Noah."

Unknown number.

I pick up the phone from my bed and answer, "Hello?"

From the other side of my room, Shar pretends to go through a few of my reading books while here and there giving me quizzical looks, "Let's hope he's not calling to let you know he has syphilis," she whispers.