10

The ambulance came just as Sam lost consciousness. Donna didn't want to leave his side, but the paramedics insisted so they could help him. The police had come and arrested Lorraine as the ambulance was leaving. Donna rode in the ambulance holding Sam's hand the whole way, talking about their dreams for the hotel and their growing family. When they got to the hospital they rushed Sam away from her and into the emergency room. Donna's whole family-Ben, Todd, Sophie, Rosie, and Tanya were at the hospital waiting for them. All of them became Donna's support as Sam was being examined.

"Mrs. Carmichael?" A young doctor asked as he came out into the waiting room.

Sophie helped her mom stand, as she was pretty shaky.

"Yes. How's Sam?" Donna asked almost afraid to know the answer.

"We have him stable. The bullet is very close to his heart, so we are prepping him for surgery. Unfortunately, he has lost a lot of blood so we need all members of his family tested to see if they are a match." The doctor said.

"Ben, Todd, please come here. These are Sam's sons." Donna said holding both of their hands.

"Good, we will have them tested immediately." The doctor said.

"Mom," Sophie said as she approached her mother. "I want to be tested."

"Soph, thank you so much! I know you were fine not knowing, it means a lot to me that you would risk that."

"Mom, this is Sam we are talking about." Sophie said.

"May I go see him before the surgery?" Donna asked.

"Only briefly." The doctor said.

Donna wasn't prepared for the sight before her as she walked into Sam's room. He was hooked up to all kinds of tubes and machines; he looked so weak and fragile. She walked over and took his big, gentle hands in hers.

"Baby, it's me, I'm here. They are going to take you into surgery, but I am not going anywhere. I will be waiting for you to come back to me. Sam, I love you so much, you have no idea. I know I gripe at you for being overprotective, but that is one of the things I love about you. I could kill you for risking your life for mine, but I would have done the same thing. Listen to me, we have two babies growing inside of me who need their daddy very much, almost as much as I do. So, don't think about going anywhere besides home with me." At this point tears were streaming down her face.

Ben came in and put his hands on her shoulders.

"Donna, they're ready for him." Ben said.

"Okay. I love you baby, see you soon." Donna said as she saw a flicker in his eyes.

"Love you." Sam said and Donna gave him a kiss before she left.

"Mrs. Carmichael may I talk to you?" The doctor asked as she walked out of the room, her heart sank.

"Did something happen? I just left him." Donna said panicking.

"His condition hasn't changed, but you said he had two sons."

"Yes, that's right." Donna replied, slightly confused.

"You didn't tell me he had a daughter." The doctor said.

Donna's heart leapt as she heard this.

"Sophie Sheridan was tested and she is a match to his blood type, she is his daughter."

Donna gave the doctor a hug.

"So you can use her blood?" Donna asked.

"Yes, with her blood there is no reason Mr. Carmichael shouldn't make a complete recovery."