23

Sam was pacing back and forth in the waiting room.

"Dad, sit down. I am sure everything is fine." Ben told his father.

"Sophie?" Sam called out.

"Yeah, dad?" She answered.

"How long has your mother been in the operating room?" Sam asked, even though he knew.

"Three and a half hours." Sophie said in a whisper.

"Damn it!" Sam cursed punching the wall.

"It was supposed to be in and out, an hour tops. Obviously, everything is not fine or SHE WOULDN'T STILL BE IN THERE!" Sam yelled.

He took a deep breath and sat down with his family.

He took Ben's hand in his. "I'm sorry for losing it son."

"It's okay Dad, I know you're worried." Ben said.

"That is no reason for taking it out on you guys." He said.

"Sam, listen." Tanya said as she knelt down in front of him. "Donna is tough, I am sure she is fine." Sam just shook his head.

Dr. Johnson came into the waiting room.

"Sam."

"Dr. Johnson! How is she? What took so long?" Sam asked.

"She came through the surgery great." The doctor said.

"Then why are you just NOW updating us and why do you look so worried?" Sam asked.

"Well, we haven't been able to wake her up from the anesthesia." The doctor said worriedly. "She has been in recovery for two in a half hours."

"She hasn't woken up yet?" Sam asked feeling sick to his stomach.

"Is that normal?" Sophie asked as she put her arm around her father.

"No, it's not. We have been doing some testing. First, let me say, health-wise Donna and the babies are fine." The doctor began.

"Then why hasn't she woken up yet?" Sam asked.

"Dad, let him explain." Sophie said.

"It's alright, I know you are worried. It seems that Donna has slipped into a coma." The doctor explained.

"A coma?" Sam asked in a whisper.

"Yes, this does happen when someone has experienced something traumatic. Not only was Donna shot in her stomach when she is pregnant, she also saw her husband shot a few days ago. This is her body's way of protecting her and the babies. It goes to sleep so no one or nothing can hurt it." The doctor explained.

"Will she wake up?" Sam asked with tears in his eyes.

"I don't see why not. She has a great heart rate and her brain activity is perfect. The babies are doing fine as well. We are monitoring all three of them. I truly believe that comatose patients can hear their loved ones. So, I would like all of you to go in one at a time." The doctor said.

"Dad, you first." Sophie said as Sam shook his head.

"No, I just need a couple minutes. You go see your mom and I will be there in a bit." Sam said.

"Dad, this is NOT your fault." Sophie said as she hugged her father, he just nodded.

"I'm fine, I will be up in a few minutes." Sam said as he walked outside.

"Bill, go talk to him." Rosie said.

Bill found Sam outside.

"Hey mate." Bill said.