-chapter 23-

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Cascade stood silently as all faces turned to examine her body language and expression, in the end, they all reached the conclusion that she wasn't toying with them, she truly, wholeheartedly believed her father was a serial killer

Cascade stood silently as all faces turned to examine her body language and expression, in the end, they all reached the conclusion that she wasn't toying with them, she truly, wholeheartedly believed her father was a serial killer. Not only were the eyes of every team member consumed with clear signs of pity and sorrow, but Hotchner's heart also fell deep within his stomach, as did many of the others.

"Cascade..." Cascade raised her hand abruptly, signalling Rossi to stop, disallowing him from continuing with his sentence. She understood what dangers this case held against her job, any news of personal involvement, there was a possibility Cascade Moreau would no longer attend to being a Federal agent. Yet, it didn't affect her, she longed for justice, for herself and these young, innocent women.

"I get it, I shouldn't work this case, it's gotten personal, but there is no other explanation. I hadn't told anyone what happened in my childhood, the only person who knew the complete truth was him. These girls are experiencing exactly what I experience as a child, what exactly am I meant to believe? That someone watched me my whole childhood?" Cascade questioned, her voice calm and steady, as was her body puncture. No matter the ache that was tightening around her heart, she was adamant she wouldn't show.

"Cascade, It's a possibility that someone did watch you. It could have been your mother," As those words escaped the lips of Spencer Reid, Hotchner was desperate to remove Cascade from that situation. The six words left Cascade in utter shock as her eyes travelled across the room to meet the warm, loving brown ones of one Aaron Hotchner. His eyes overflowing with compassion and condolence.

Cascade's breathing slowly became erratic at the mention of her mother's name. For years Cascade had swallowed all emotion regarding her mother either to the side or deep within the most morbid parts of her soul, in hopes of not having to comprehend the situation fully and reducing the suffering her death inflicted on young Cascade Moreau.  "Sorry genius boy, my mamma is long gone. Dead. Underground, six feet actually. Buried. Not breathing. Nada. Not a chance."

"What happened?" Garcia's voice filled the room, some letters unable to be heard as Garcia cut out for a split-second. In all honesty, Cascade was on the verge of snapping, breaking the necks of her colleagues for no apparent reason except for the fact the conversation they merged about was specifically detailed about the death of a caring figure in her past.

"Cancer happened."

-"Mamma, oh mamma. I don't know if you can hear me or not, but right now that doesn't matter, what matters is you're dying and I am useless. I can't help, I cant save you, I can't do anything except sit by your side, praying that day wasn't the day you passed. And for so long, that's all I wanted, for you to continue breathing and living and serving and now I understood how selfish I was, I am. I can't continue to hold on to you, because every second I do, is every second you live in pain. And I want peace for you, so I am telling you that it is okay if you choose to let go. It is okay if the pain overwhelms you, It is okay to stop fighting. I love you, pour toujours et à jamais. Vous méritez toute la paix que le monde a à offrir, vous méritez le monde. Au revoir maman." (forever and ever. You deserve all the peace the world has to offer, you deserve the world. Goodbye Mom.)

Cascade watched as her mothers heart monitor flat-lined, signalling her death, allowing Cascade an inch of closure knowing her mother heard her, her voice as the last she ever heard. Albeit the sorrow and anguish filled in that small sentiment, Cascade could only feel the love and appreciation. As though her mother thanked her for her blessing, allowing her to fade away overjoyed with the feeling of contentment surrounding her.

Never had Cascade thought about losing her mother, although it wasn't as painful as she first imagined hearing the dreadful news for the first time, she never fully brought herself to imagine a life where her precious mamma wouldn't be present. Cascade felt as though it was a betrayal, a violation of her mother's legacy in a way. And she would not, nor would she ever be content in living a life of betrayal and violation.

The doctors and nurses expressed fake condolences only minutes after they had decided to call her mother's death. Many nurses found the young girls determination in not breaking admirable and somewhat terrifying. An 8-year-old child who had witnessed her mother die wasn't shedding a tear. The sorrow and suffering was there, but her heart and soul wasn't.

After watching her mother die, Cascade experienced a heart grow large in her chest. A void that could never be filled by any individual ever again, for that hole belonged to one, and only one. Her only was of describing exactly what she felt at that moment was as though her soul and detached itself from the pain. As though her mind had wandered into a different realm, and was unable to return. She was different, and not in the best way possible.-

"My mother was the best thing that had ever happened to me. She was kind and caring, and compassionate, and understanding and accepting, and loving and so so sweet. When she died, my heart broke, my mind wasn't it's self anymore, I became a robot. I never cried, I never expressed emotion, I never showed signs of weakness. I was as blank as stone. Nobody was able to carve their way into my heart and mind and discover what thoughts lurked within. Nobody even dared. I wasn't your average child," As Cascade admitted the truth, as she accepted that her mother wasn't coming back, as her mother was a foreign aspect of her life.

And she was going to receive justice. For herself, for her mother and for those women.