Chapter 18

Nayeon gave a disgusted look at the newspaper in her hand. A gossip column was talking about how the hot and upcoming openly lesbian actor in Hollywood was secretly dating another A list actress.

She was sure Mina would tell her if she started seeing someone.

"It's your birthday today." Jihyo squished her cheeks, "Don't make this face."

That reminded her that she was still yet to get a call or text for her 22nd birthday from Mina.

She'd eagerly waited since midnight for a wish from her, and it was nearly seven in the evening now.

She knew the girl was probably busy shuffling her time shooting for two films simultaneously but she didn't think a simple text or a call was too much to ask for.

The doorbell rang breaking her thoughts.

She didn't bother to get the door, her mood was sour and one of her bandmates would answer it anyway.

When she felt warm hands closing her eyes from behind, her sour mood disappeared in an instant as she gripped those dainty hands in hers and tugged the younger girl in front of her.

Mina stumbled into her lap at the sudden force and Nayeon gave her a dazzling smile, "I almost hated you."

"You could never." Mina cupped her cheeks and rested their foreheads together.

Nayeon nodded her head because who was she to deny such a simple truth.

Ari cleared her throat from behind them and sulked. "I don't even get a hi?"

Nayeon's smile grew bigger when she finally noticed the child. "You came along as well?" She got up as Mina slid off her lap and lifted the girl over her shoulders in her hands. "I missed you so much kid."

When Ari reminded her that she was eight years old now and definitely not a kid anymore, 

Nayeon shuffled the hairs on her head and replied that even if she turned sixty she'd still be the shy six year old in her eyes.

A few weeks later, the girls flew to The States for a chat show. Mina visited the sets and met the girls after the shoot.

"So what is this thing we hear about you dating another actress?" Sana asked, nudging Mina with her elbow playfully.

Mina's eyes skidded to Nayeon who was playing with the stitches on her T-shirt. "She asked me out, but-"

Nayeon lifted her face and met Mina's soft brown eyes, "They're not the one I want."

A chuffed grin appeared on Nayeon's mouth for some reason when she heard those words.

"Don't look so sad Nayeon-chan." Momo teased her when she saw the expression on the older girl's face.

Mina pretended she didn't hear it.

Three months later when Mina's first payments from the films came through, she paid back every single penny she'd ever gotten from the older girl.

Nayeon was hurt, but she hid it and accepted the money because Mina's sense of self respect was more important than how she felt about being treated like an outsider.

"Your songs have consecutively topped the US billboard top ten for three times in a row now. So many artists want to collaborate with you." Their CEO said to them at a meeting a few months afterwards, "I think it's time we explored your potential as a group in the US market."

"How?" Jihyo inquired.

"We're going to shift your base to NewYork for a year as a test run. You'll be no longer operating from here." He told the girls, "If it works out during this trial period, you might be looking at spending nearly your whole life there."

The girls had mixed reactions to that.

On one hand it was something they had always wanted, but on the other hand they had to leave behind everything they were familiar with, including their family, friends and staff.

"You're young, you have a huge audience for you over there. It's the right time for you to take this step girls. Think about it." He explained seeing the confused glances on their faces.

A month later they gave their nod to the label's plan.

"Nayeon-tan is going to be living in New York?" Ari squealed as Mina spun her around in her arms, "This is like the best news ever."

Mina couldn't agree more with her.