navy

(this art im in love.)

Zelda and Link's wounds had healed, although every once in a while they would feel a rush of aching go through them. It was nothing Link couldn't handle, but every once in a while Zelda would stop and flinch. The doctor told them they were very lucky- she had treated them just in time, before too much blood was lost, and there was no internal bleeding or infections. They had recovered extremely and strikingly fast, but the doctor didn't let them leave the room until they had at least one full day of recovery. Sure, they needed it mentally, but not physically. They had talked about Link's journeys to pass time.

"Yeah, and I must admit it was a little overwhelming waking up after a 100-year long nap, not knowing my name, hearing this voice of a girl telling me I have to get up, meeting an old man who tells me I can only leave if I nearly kill myself 4 times, then later finding out he's the father of the princess, he's a spirit, and I have the weight of the fate of Hyrule on my shoulders." Link gestured his hands, beaming. Zelda cracked up, clutching her stomach.

"And all alone too! That must've been awful..." Zelda trailed off, her laugh fading. She looked over at Link, laying on his back with his hands behind his head. "Link, when was the last time you used your Sheikah Slate, or powers from the Divine Beasts?" She asked, scooting closer to him and slightly resting her head on his arm.

"Uh... not in a while, actually... I should've used Daruk's Protection when you were being attacked, I was being stupid-"

"No, it's okay! You were on the spot, and I think it's a good thing you haven't used them in a while." She smiled.

"Oh yeah, and we could just be traveling to shrines, we wouldn't have to do all that walking-"

"No, no, it's okay!" Zelda went crimson. "I- Uhm... I like traveling with you. It gives me a change of scenery." They both grinned and blushed. They heard a knock at Riju's entrance and sat up excitedly.

"Princess? Master Link?"

"Come in!" they chorused anxiously. They bounced up and down, hands together like children. "Can we leave?!" They begged, eyes glistening. The doctor rolled her eyes.

"I suppose, but be careful-!" The Princess and her Knight had already gathered their bags and sprinted out of the room, giggling and hand in hand. The doctor hadn't realized that two young Gerudo girls had followed her up the stairs and were standing behind the wall.

"Ha! Hand it over! 10 rupees, go on!" One girl said, gesturing her hand, another on her hip. The other girl stamped her foot and dug her little fists into her pockets.

"1...2...4..."

"What did you girls bet on?" The doctor asked, smiling and leaning against the wall. The girl pulled out the last of the little green jewels out of her pockets and placed them in the other child's hand with some clinks

"That the Princess and her knight were dating!" One beamed. The other huffed and crossed her arms.

"Oh, well, I don't think-" The doctor stopped and thought it over. "Well, I suppose that isn't completely ridiculous-"

"Ha! See?! Even the smart doctor lady knows it!" One giggled.

"I thought they were just really close friends especially after the Princess watched him doing all his dorky stuff. Like cutting down those palm trees naked!" The other exclaimed. (everyone knew the story now about how she was watching him the whole time and stuff) The doctor chuckled and walked back into Riju's room to collect her things.

"Come on, I can share! This is enough to get at least 15 fresh, juicy,  wildberries from Dalia's farm!" And the girls ran off.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

It was nighttime in Gerudo Town, and Link and Zelda were waiting until the next morning to talk to Riju. They sat up against a wall next to the shrine near the entrance of Gerudo Town, looking up at the stars and moon. Zelda sighed, laying her head on Link's shoulder. Link tensed and beamed.

"...I'm actually very surprised they let me in. Even after Riju knew I was a voe, she didn't let me enter without that stupid outfit on." Link said, chuckling under his breath. Zelda smiled.

"You were fatally injured!"

"That's most likely not why. It was probably because I was with the Princess." Link said, looking down at her. She scrunched her nose and smiled. Link could barely handle how cute she looked. He moved a strand of hair behind her ear and Zelda shuddered. She was surprised to not feel herself blush- what he had done had felt so... natural. Then she shuddered again, but this time not from Link's touch. The temperature in the Gerudo night was dropping. 

Link furrowed a brow. "Cold?" He asked. Zelda tried to shake her head, but Link pulled his Hylian hood out of his pocket and draped it around Zelda's shoulders, pulling the hood over her head. This time, she did blush. To her surprise, Link reached behind her before she leaned back against the wall and brought his other arm in front of her, holding her in an amazing hug. Zelda accidentally let out a little gasp, and it was unfortunately audible. Link chuckled. "Smooth, right?" Zelda looked up at him and he winked. She laughed and punched his side playfully before resting her head on his shoulder again.

Link rested his head on hers and sighed as looked out at the navy sky and blinding stars. He knew he was ready- but why wasn't she? Link, being as brave as he was, would (at this point) have no trouble confessing his feelings to a girl he's known and loved for this long. In fact, he'd tried, but Link wasn't going to make any dire moves until he got the feeling that Zelda was 100% ready. Link wondered if it was partially his fault- Zelda had never been in a previous relationship, and neither had he, but he knew a little bit about them from his journeys, like Hudson getting married and Lasli with the tragic events of her boyfriend's life. Perhaps Zelda didn't know Link felt the same, or, if she was taking the hints, was in denial about the feelings being real? Link's head became too jumbled up with thoughts as he fell asleep on the Princess.

But Zelda, even while asleep, felt an aching in her heart- she didn't know what was holding her back from Link, what was keeping her from kissing him and telling him she loves him and wrapping her arms around his neck-

Then Zelda thought about it.

The Princess had been waiting for so long and had gotten used to it, had become accustomed to waiting, just waiting and waiting...

But she was no longer willing to wait.

There really wasn't anything holding her back from Link.