chapter one, new life

(4 years later)

Tommy's POV

Waiting is difficult. Dream always told me 'Tommy, you should wait for me at the door when I arrive because it's basic manners' or some shit. Dream always sent a letter home to make so I'd know when he'd be home on the dot. So if the clock says it's 4:16 and the letter says 4:19 that means I have three whole minutes to my thoughts.

I glance  around the room that I've seen every day of my life. The dark green walls had flakes of paint coming off. The room was full of dusty shelves holding various books that he's memorized. I patiently wait on the fluffy ragged grey sofa. I could take the time to clean this place up but that would mean he'd practice less and make less progress.

4:17. Two more minutes. I tried to think of times when I was little. The times I've forgotten. One day when I was almost 12 I fell down the stairs and ended up getting amnesia. I can't remember anything before that time other than a castle. I felt safe and comfortable when I think of the castle but when I asked Dream about it he yelled at me.

4:18. One more minute. My hands started sweating. I'm not... well maybe I am a little nervous. Dream is my older brother and I don't want to disappoint him. Disappointing Dream just ends in problems I don't want to even think about. I hear someone's footsteps outside. I knew who it was. I took a deep breath and put on a smile. I stood from the sofa preparing myself to talk to my brother.

Knock. Knock.

I walked over to the door unlocking the lock. I took one last deep breath and swung the door open.

"Hey Tommy," Dream exclaimed. He opened his arms gesturing for a hug.

"Hello Dream," I responded while hugging my elder brother.

Dream of course has his dirty blonde hair and iconic smiley face mask. He wore his usual outfit consisting of a lime hoodie, black sweatpants, and fingerless gloves.

"Here, an early birthday present since you turn sixteen tomorrow. Oh, you're growing up so fast."

Dream tossed a thin circular object at me. Of course, I caught and investigated. It was a disk but it was an unusual one. Instead of the usual black surrounding the gold color in the middle, it was red. Pigstep.

"Thank you Dream this is exactly what I wanted!" I smiled.

Dream chuckled at my happiness. He took off his mask revealing his deep emerald green eyes and the scar across his right one.

"I knew you'd like it," he laughed running up to me and ruffling my hair revealing some blonde roots. "Tommy, you might need to dye your hair tonight. I can see some blonde roots."

"Well, do I have to because I can always just wear a beanie to cover them. I also still don't understand why I have to hide my natural hair color. It just seems quite pointless and-"

"Tommy," Dream demanded sternly. His playful expression turned into a stern one.

"Fine, your right."

The elder brother's expression reverted to playfulness once more. "Good Toms. Oh, I just love you so much I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you. Since your being compliant I will graciously make dinner for us."