part 15

Emma

“Killian, are you packed? We needed to leave like an hour ago,” I say as I enter the bedroom. I find him still in bed, awake, but just lying there. I sit on the edge of the bed and touch his leg.

“Killian. Killian. We need to leave.” I say with a sigh.

“No, I don’t want to go,” he rolls away so only his back is facing me.

“Thanksgiving is tomorrow and our families are expecting us,” I say lightly.

“I don’t give a damn, Emma. I do not want to go,” he says firmly. I cannot believe him right now. What the hell? We always go back for thanksgiving. I stand up and whip the blanket off the bed. He sits up quickly and looks shocked.

“Look I know that these last few weeks have been hard, but I have been here every step of the way and I have said nothing. Every physical therapy appointment I have been there. You are in a shit mood all the time and frankly I can’t take this anymore. Your attitude needs to change because tomorrow is thanksgiving and I can’t think of a single thing I am thankful for. We leave in half and hour, be ready,” I snap, storm out of the room, and slam the door.

Twenty minutes later Killian limps out fully clothed, wearing his brace, and carrying his duffle bag.  I nod, grab my bag, and we leave. I load the bags into the Jolly Roger while Killian climbs in on his own for the first time in months. We finally head out on the road. We get out on the highway and Killian stiffens up.

“What?” I asked through gritted teeth.

“Can you please slow down?” He asks while his fists are clenched. I look at the speedometer. I roll my eyes, I am only going five over.

“Really? You’re on such thin ice and you feel the need to criticize my driving,” I snarl.

“Emma, please just slow down. I am asking one thing today. Please just slow down,” He asks sincerely.  I nod and slow down slightly. The rest of the ride we do not talk. We finally reach Storybrooke at about eleven o’clock at night. Killian is of course passed out in the seat, not that I really blame him. I nudge him awake and begin to get the bags. Killian waddles down the walk behind me. I pull my keys from the bag and slide them into the lock. The door clicks open and we crawl up the steps and into my old bedroom. It still looks the same, the same soft shade of lavender with the white furniture. I let the bags fall to the floor. Killian and I clamber into bed and fall asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillow.

The next morning I wake up and find myself all tangled up with Killian. I manage to untangle myself from him without waking him up. I change into more comfortable clothes and head downstairs. I clean my glasses and place them back on. I head into the kitchen and find mom and dad enjoying breakfast.

“Emma! When did you get in? We didn’t even you guys come in last night,” Mom squeals. They rush over and hug me tight.

“Killian up yet?” Dad asks. I sigh and shake my head.

“No and he probably won’t be for an hour or two,” I shrug, “But I am hungry.”

“Oh of course. Is cereal okay? With all of the thanksgiving food I totally forgot to get doughnuts like I planned,” she rambles on.

“Thats perfectly fine, mom,” I say with the best smile I can muster. Dad guides me to the table and we sit down. Mom gives me my cereal and we continue on with breakfast.

“So, how’s Killian doing?” Mom asks.

“Mary Margaret,” Dad says with a stern look.

“Dad, its fine. He’s doing alright, but not as good as they’d hoped. He’s off the crutches switch is a good sign, they told us. He’s still resistant to help and going to physical therapy. Why I couldn’t tell you,” I run my fingers through my hair. Mom walks over tears in her eyes and wraps me in her arms.