1- Assignment

The sun began to make its way through my window. What exactly is the point of my curtains if they fail to actually keep any of the morning sun out of my room?

Five more minutes, I just need five more minutes of peace before I get up...

"Rise and shine sunshine!" I immediately threw the covers over my head as my fathers chipper voice floods my room along with the sunlight.

"No" is all I'm able to get out before the covers are ripped away from me.

"It's a big day today! Come on, your mother made you breakfast and everything." I cracked an eye open to glare at Dad as he bounces around the room gathering up clothes and tossing them onto my bed.

"I don't want to do this... can't I just live at home forever and not get a job?" I reluctantly get up from the warmth and safety of my bed, grab the pile of clothing and walk into the bathroom.

"You've waited long enough, you know most parents send their kids for their job assignments at 16? You got an extra four years to be a kid. It's not all bad anyways, you get to meet new people, maybe make some new friends?" Dad carried on the conversation through the bathroom door.

"I have plenty of friends." I spat back as I threw on a pair of dark athletic pants and a solid long sleeved shirt. Everyone in the compound wore dark solid colors, there wasn't exactly a lot of freedom or choice.

"Books don't count as friends Mila. You haven't spent time with people since you finished you finished basic schooling and training."

I stared at myself in the mirror, debating whether or not to do my hair. I know Dad will comment if I don't. I quickly brushed through all the tangles and checked myself out once more before leaving.

I opened the door to face him, and he looked a little sad. I know he only wants the best for me but why can't he see that I'm doing just fine. I like my life the way it is. Plus, it's not like I've been doing absolutely nothing since training ended, I continued my studies on my own, and I did a couple independent classes that no one ever does. Mom always said knowledge is power and I live by that statement. I read books on as many topics as I could, I like to consider myself one of the more astute members of the Compound.

"Okay, okay, I'm ready." I followed my dad downstairs. He was way to awake which only made me more annoyed.

My parents were quite well off. They met through their job placement, both of which were in the higher ranked pay grade. Mom works in Compound Protection and Dad is in Compound Justice and Law. Essentially, Mom makes sure nothing comes in that isn't supposed to, but if they do happen to get past security, then Dad takes it from there.

The compound has a monthly "Final Day" ceremony, which is a polite way of saying "public execution intended to scare the Compound members straight". Since it's Dad department, I've been attending them with my parents since I was old enough to remember. Every second Saturday of the month was the Final Day ceremony, and I actively avoided them as best as I could once I was old enough to understand what was happening.

Everyone else seemed desensitized to all the death, but it bothered me.

"I made all your favorites!" Mom set down a plate in front of me. The food smelt amazing, I couldn't wait to dive into it.

"Thanks Mom, I appreciate it." I began eating as she piled food onto two more plates for Dad and herself.

"What are you hoping for today?" Mom asked excitedly.

"Honestly, I have no idea. I guess education? Teaching at the academy wouldn't be so bad. I definitely don't want farming, or textiles, or childcare, and definitely not Justice and Law... no offense Dad." I spoke between bites.