↳ COVID-19 Vaccines- Everything You Need to Know

Banner by: -softivity 

Written by: paddiecake999 and aquestioningmess

At the time this article was written, both Moderna and Pfizer had not been approved for emergency distribution, and so some of the things discussed in this article may be outdated. We encourage you to do your own research on the topic, and to not take what we say at face value.

For the last nine months or so, COVID-19 has ravaged the world. Devastating economies, taking lives, and irrevocably and irreversibly changing the lives of millions. And while others rebounded swiftly, others (*ahem America) didn't...

If you are American, you've probably been stuck at home all these nine months, while government officials repeatedly failed to address the pandemic, instead focusing on a mystery vaccine that would supposedly save us all. For months, the vaccine was so far away it almost seemed like a myth.

But since mid-November, two major vaccines companies have announced their vaccines have gone into phase 3 trials with over a 90% success rate, meaning we could have a vaccine in just a couple months . (We do want to remind everyone, that a vaccine does not automatically guarantee our safety. We all must continue to wear masks, socially distance, and follow coronavirus prevention guidelines.)

Here is everything you need to know about them.

Moderna

Currently, Moderna is undergoing its Phase 3 trials, where they give the trial vaccine to thousands of volunteers, waiting to see who gets infected compared to the volunteers given the placebo vaccine.

Moderna has submitted an application to the American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for emergency use authorization, but it has yet to be granted.

As well, the United States, the European Union, Canada, Japan, and Qatar have all made deals to supply doses if the vaccine proves safe and effective.

Currently, scientists estimate the Moderna vaccine to have an effectiveness rate of 94.1%, though Phase 3 is still undergoing trials.

Pfizer

Pfizer is also undergoing its Phase 3 trials. The company took a different approach, combining Phase 2, where they give the vaccine to different groups of people (i.g. children, seniors, etc) to see if it acts differently in them, with Phase 3. On November 18, Pfizer concluded their Phase ⅔ trials, concluding their vaccine to be around 95% effective.

The vaccine has already been authorized for emergency use in Britain, and has submitted an application to the FDA for emergency use authorization, but like the Moderna one, it has yet to be approved.

Currently, the United States, Japan, and European Union have all made deals with Pfizer to acquire doses.

And although Pfizer has completed the last phase, there are still logistical hurdles with distributing it. For one thing, the vaccine has to be kept at an extremely cold temperature: -70°C (-94°F). Additionally, the Pfizer vaccine requires two doses, so making sure that people revisit the clinic adds an extra layer of complexity.

Will vaccines end the pandemic?

The short answer, quite frankly, is no. Vaccines will certainly help, but that doesn't mean that they're a replacement to wearing a mask, socially distancing, following coronavirus guidelines, etc.

And regardless of when Moderna and Pfizer get their vaccines approved for distribution, the general public likely won't receive the vaccines for close to half a year, and the vaccines most likely won't end the pandemic until late next year.