Chapter Two

Beep. Beep. Beep. A noise that echoed through the white, sanitized room, the rays of light shining through the breaks of the white blinds that hung up on a large, white double glazed window that stood behind a white, clean hospital bed where Elena lay with a heart monitor attached to her right index finger. Her eyes closed, her face emotionless but her chest expanded and shrunk as she breathed in and out whilst in a state of unconsciousness. Slumping in a large armchair to the right hand side of Elena was a young blonde woman with an angelic face, her eyes were shut as she slept softly. 

“Dr Gordon,” a voice echoed through the speakers causing the fluttering open of the eyes of the young blonde woman sitting in the chair, “Dr Gordon you are need in Ward 14, that’s Dr Gordon, Ward 14.” The blonde rubbed her eyes gently turning her head towards the bed to see the unconscious Elena still lying there in the bed, not changing from the state that she had been in before the blonde had fallen asleep. A sound of clicking grabbed the attention of the blonde as she snapped her head towards the door in front of the bed, walking through the door was a nurse with brown hair tied up into a tight bun, the blonde sighed and leaned back in the armchair. 

“Why hasn’t she woke up yet?” The blonde asked, “Shouldn’t she have woken up by now? The doctor said that there wasn’t anythin’ serious with her.” 

“Every body is different,” the nurse replied, “Some wake up quicker than others. Her bein’ in this state is just her bodies way of healin’.” 

“I just don’t know what to do when she does wake up,” the blonde sighed sadly, “I mean, how am I supposed to tell my best friend that her fiancé, the love of her life, is dead?” 

“I understand that it’s gonna be hard,” the nurse replied, “But she does need to know. Maybe don’t tell her as soon as she wakes up, that could cause her to go into shock and we wouldn’t want that to happen. It could make her condition a whole lot worse than it already is.” 

“I just don’t know how I’m gonna tell her,” the blonde sighed sadly, “I mean, I found it hard to take in when they told me that Jeremy had died at the scene. I mean, I took it hard when I found out that they were in a car accident. How the hell is she supposed to deal with it? He’s the guy she fell madly in love with as soon as they lay eyes on one another. I just,” she whimpered softly with emotion, “I just don’t know how I’m gonna tell her,” tears started to build up in her eyes as one escaped and trickled down her cheeks but quickly she wiped it away with her fingertips. 

“I know that it’s gonna be hard to tell her,” the nurse told her, “But give it time, as time goes on, I’m sure that she’ll be fine.” 

“Well then,” the blonde replied as she wiped another tear that trickled down her cheek, “You obviously don’t know her as much as I know her because what I do know is that it’ll crush her and she’ll never, never get over it and she’ll forever be in pain, and honestly, I don’t know if she’ll ever move on.” Sighing heavily, the blonde wiped the tears from underneath her eyes with the tips of her fingers before taking a deep breath through her nose and turning around to face her friend who still lay there emotionless but now her eyes were moving underneath the lids frantically grabbing the attention of the blonde. Stepping towards Elena, the blonde’s eyes widened as she took Elena’s hand softly within hers. “Elena?” The blonde asked, “Elena...” Her eyes started to slowly flutter open as she gasped for air and slowly rose up from her bed. “Elena,” the blonde called as she placed her hand softly on her shoulder as she started to gently place her down on the bed, “Don’t sit up, you’re in the hospital, you were in an accident, a serious accident, please, please don’t move, the nurse is gonna deal with you now, she’s gonna check you over but you have to promise me that you won’t move, we don’t want you hurtin’ yourself any more than you’ve already hurt yourself.”