Chapter Four

A few days had passed since the night of the bar and the week had began, the bitter winter air whisked through the air, the waves crashed against the crisp, golden sand with the plants shaking with the cool breeze. In the centre of the town stood a row of shops and on the corner of the row of shops was a small, old florist with Oswald Florists written in a fancy, curved, white font on a brown background. In the centre was a wooden door with large, wooden paned windows either side with many different kinds of flowers on display ranging from Amaryllis to Zinnias with all of their bright colours and scents flowing through the air. Standing by a green painted wooden counter with an modern till placed on the right hand side was Elena wearing a grey, long sleeved t-shirt, a pair of denim jeans with a pair of black converses finished off with a green apron wrapped around both her neck and waist as she leaned on the counter with her elbow and her head resting on her hands as she stood there bored out of her mind, there had hardly been any customers walking through the door with the season being a cold, bitter winter, not many of the customers tended to come in and spend money, there didn’t tend to be many special occasions coming up any time soon other than Christmas which people didn’t usually celebrate with flowers. Elena sighed with boredom as her eyes rolled into the back of her head as she tried to think of things to take her mind of the boredom but the only two things that she could think about was how bored she was and Jeremy, but not the good times with him, the only thing that she could think about was the accident. The memory kept flashing passed her eyes all of the time, the deer that stood in the centre of the road, his voice screaming ‘watch out’ and then waking up the next day in the hospital and hearing the sobbing of Jodie telling her that he was dead. Her thoughts were soon broken when the sound of the bell above the door chimed and the sound of the door clicking behind the sound of the bell with the lock on the door connecting with the lock in the doorframe. Her eyes glanced over to the door with them soon widening when she noticed who had just walked through the door, standing there at 6ft 2 inches wearing a pair of tight fit denim jeans, a deep red jumper finished off with a pair of brown, sneaker-like shoes as his eyes glanced around the store at all of the flowers. She pushed herself away from the counter and straightened her back as she followed him with her eyes as he looked around the store, she took a deep breath and bucked up the courage to speak. “Can I help you with somethin’?” She asked him. Chris turned his head quickly towards her with a smile appearing on his face, he turned his entire body to face as he took a few small steps towards the counter, “I thought I recognised the name above the door,” he smiled as he finally approached the counter with both of his hands shoved into his pockets, “But I thought that it was too good to be true. You own this place?” He asked her curiously. 

“No,” she shook her head, “I just work here. My dad owns this place though. It’s a family run business. Been goin’ since both of my grandparents opened it up when they were in their 20’s.” 

“So,” he carried on smiled, “I take it that you’ve been here you’re entire life then?” 

“Born and raised,” she nodded.

“That’s cool,” he nodded too, “I wish that I could’ve been brought up in a place like this instead of a big city.” 

“Where are you from?” She asked him, “If I may ask. I wouldn’t want you thinkin’ that I’m rude or anythin’,” she joked with a small smile. 

“I didn’t think you were bein’ rude,” he laughed, “It’s just I kinder get nervous sometimes and I tend to say the wrong thin’. It’s like I say thin’s before I speak. I really need to learn to deal with that.”

“Yeah, maybe,” she giggled softly.

“But to answer your question,” he said changing the subject, “I’m from Providence, I was born and raised their myself but I wish that I was brought up in a small town like this, then maybe a lot less shit would’ve happened.”