Chapter Three

Near the beach sat a small bar which inside looked completely different from the outside, the outside was made from wooden panels painted blue with old fashioned wooden windows with a cross effect over the glass. The bar was located slightly on the beach with a small pier leading onto the sand with tables and chairs placed on the wooden flooring. However, inside of the bar was modern. The bar had a white counter top but underneath the panels were covered with a purple lined wallpaper with purple and dark wood stools. The flooring was a dark wood with tall, rounded topped black and silver tables situated around the bar itself accompanied by four tall dark wood stools. Behind the bar were optimums with liquor hanging up with mirrors lined up along the walls. As it was only a small town, the bar never got busy and was the only bar in the town, however, most Friday and Saturday nights would be the busiest with only 20-30 people in there, this was including both Elena who sat there with her head resting on her hand with her elbow leaning on the table as she spun her straw around in her empty glass of Malibu and Orange Juice as she waited for Jodie to come back with two full glasses of Malibu and Orange juice, she placed them on the table as she climbed up onto the stools with her four inch black heels which she wore with a pair of leather look pants and an oversize white blouse. “So,” Jodie said breaking the silence, “I just spoke to Tina behind the bar and she said that they’ve got entertainment on tonight.” 

“Oh great,” Elena rolled her eyes sarcastically. 

“Hey,” Jodie frowned as she tapped her on the arm gently, “You never know, he could be a good singer.” 

“So, he’s a he, huh?” Elena asked her with raised eyebrows as she glanced at her. 

“Yeah,” Jodie shrugged her shoulders, “What’s wrong with that? I asked Tina who was on, if there was any entertainment and she said that he was singin’.” 

“Uh-huh,” Elena looked her up and down unconvincingly. 

“It’s the truth,” Jodie replied quickly, “I wasn’t doin’ it so that I could help you to move on, it’s not all about you, you know.” 

“Then why did you ask her then?” Elena asked her suspiciously. 

“I asked her because otherwise it would be borin’,” Jodie told her, “Because I know after a while you’d just give up and not speak to me because you’ll want me to shut up about movin’ on.” 

“And you would be right,” Elena agreed and nodded her head. 

“So,” Jodie continued, “I asked her if there was any entertainment on and she said yes, he would be comin’ on in five minutes.” 

“And how do you know if he’s goin’ to be good?” Elena asked her as she took a sip from the straw of her Malibu and orange juice. 

“I never said that he was goin’ to be good,” Jodie answered, “I said that he might be good. And besides,” she shrugged her shoulders, “Tina just doesn’t hire anybody, she gets them to audition first because the business is bad enough as it is with it bein’ such a small town, all she needs is somebody singin’ and the whole place rushin’ out as if somebody let off a major fart and everybody fled the buildin’.” 

“All right,” Elena responded in defeat, “I’ll give you that one. But if you’re lyin’ to me and you’re up to somethin’, you know that I’m just gonna walk right out of that door and I’m not gonna speak to you again.” 

“I promise,” Jodie told her as she placed her hand on her chest, “I haven’t set this up, I have no idea who this guy is, all I know is that he’s a guy and he’s gonna be singin’ in a few minutes. I have no idea who he is, I have no idea what he’s gonna be singin’ and I have no idea if he’s from around here or not.” She shrugged her shoulders once more before picking up her drink and pulling it towards her mouth, “I swear, this is just me takin’ my friend out for a drink because she needs to get out of the house and have a life instead of sittin’ around in sweats and wearin’ his shirts. It’s not healthy, Elena, you need to have some fun in your life, so yeah, I’m bein’ a friend and takin’ you out for a drink, to get fresh air except from the one that you’re gettin’ from your balcony.” She wrapped her red lips around the straw and sucked up the Malibu and orange juice, Elena sighed in defeat and lifted her head up from her hand as she looked at her friend with soft eyes.