Chapter Seven

The morning had arrived, as the sun rose up from the horizon with the sky flooded with orange and yellow as the silhouettes of seagulls flew towards the beach as they squawked, swooping down towards the ocean as they searched for their breakfast. As the sun slowly rose up from behind the horizon the bedroom flooded with warm colours hitting the back of Elena who stood in her black, tight jogging pants with a waterproof red hoodie, finished off with a pair of white sneakers with a red streak down the side as she tied her hair up into a tight ponytail. As she dropped her hands down to her side she stared at herself in the reflection of the mirror, she tilted her head to the side slightly and exhaled deeply.

          Ding-dong rang the doorbell, Elena glanced over her shoulder towards the open doorway of her bedroom which lead out to the hallway, turning her head back around to look at her reflection once more, she sighed softly, “This is it,” she told herself, “You either do it now or you won’t do it at all.” Taking one more deep breath, she turned on her heels and made her way down the stairs which was directly opposite the front door. Stepping towards the door, she reached down and opened the door, standing on the porch wearing a pair of grey and black sweatpants with a matching sweatshirt and a black skins sweater underneath finished off with a pair of white sneakers. In his hand he held a water bottle with a handle. “Hey,” he smiled, “You ready to go?” 

“Yeah,” she nodded and smiled at the same time, “Just let me get a bottle of water and I’ll be all set.” She turned on her heels and walked quickly towards the kitchen, she glanced over her shoulder and noticed him standing in the doorway still. “You can come in if you want,” she called, “We can go out through the back way because it leads onto the beach.” 

“All right, cool,” he nodded as he stepped through the front door, he glanced around the house as he closed the door behind him before slowly making his way through the house towards the kitchen in the back. “You’re house is really nice,” he informed her as he made his way into the kitchen, “It’s amazin’, like I said last night I would love to live in a house like this, I mean,” he gestured towards the window with a view of the beach, “With a view like that, who wouldn’t want to live in a place like this?” 

“Muh,” she shrugged her shoulders as she grabbed her water bottle which was similar to his but instead of it being blue hers was red to match her outfit. “When you’ve lived here nearly most of your life then a view like that just tends to be the norm.” 

“Wow,” he smiled, “I wish that it was the norm for me. The norm for me would be brightly lit cities with constant noise and the only view would be of an alley full of dumpsters and crap.” 

“Yeah,” she nodded, “Maybe you’re right, this does sound like a lot better than the city. I’ve only lived here, I’ve never lived anywhere else so to me, I couldn’t imagine anythin’ different.” 

“Well, all right then,” he clapped his hands together changing the subject, “Let’s do this joggin’ because the longer we talk, the less time we’ll have to jog and I know that you want to do this otherwise you wouldn’t have said yes to me, would you?” 

“No,” she smiled at him and tilted her head to the side slightly, “No, I wouldn’t have said yes to you.” 

“Well,” he grinned, “Come on, let’s do it.” 

          Later that day as the weather started to descend into a spiral of madness as the winds picked up whisking the fallen, crisped leaves that lay on the ground as they flew passed the window as Elena stared out of the deserted streets of Portshire. With her head resting on her hand with her elbow resting on the counter next to the cash register as she wore a pair of denim jeans, a green t-shirt with the work apron over the top, her long brown hair was still pulled back into a tight ponytail as she groaned, huffing and puffing at the lack of business. The noise of the ferocious wind whistled and howled down the streets as it echoed in the empty store, Elena pushed herself up from the counter and started to walk around the florist slowly as she tried to take her mind off her boredom when the sound of the iPhone opening ringtone rang and vibrated in her pocket at the front of her apron as she rummaged into her pocket and grabbed it out, glancing down at the caller ID on the front with a picture of both her and Jodie flashing on the screen, Elena knew instantly before seeing the name that it was Jodie calling her, she knew that she was bored at work otherwise she wouldn’t have been calling her. Elena rolled her eyes and slid her finger across the screen unlocking her phone she placed it closer to her ear. “Is somebody bored at work?” She grinned.