Part Eight

She had quickly become a part of my routine; my day consisted of her, only her, always her. From the moment I opened my eyes in the morning to the moment I closed them at night, I was completely and utterly captivated by her.

She was my constant. I began to rely on the same version of her I saw every single day; the version that was warm and kind, the version who held me in her arms and made me feel special.

In her eyes, I was the only person in the room. I'd be lying if I said I didn't thrive on the attention.

"Dolly, in here please my sweet"

Arizona calls me into her bedroom as I walk down the hallway to the kitchen; I was going to get some water after showering, so I could get myself ready to settle down into bed for the night with a book and a scented candle.

"Yes ma'am" I answer, padding into her bedroom, barefoot and clad in nothing but shorts and a tank top. My hair hung loose around my shoulders, a mess of dark curls that stuck up in every direction.

"I have an event tomorrow night. An event I'll need you to accompany me to" she begins, putting her hands out in front of her as a gesture for me to move closer. Of course, I comply and head straight into her waiting arms.

"It's mostly business" she murmurs, breathing in a breath as her nose nestles against my neck, in my hair "although I do plan on seeing some friends there" she explains, discarding a pair of reading glasses that had been perched on her nose. Her MacBook was open on the bed next to her, and several pens and notepads were scattered about around her.

"Business?" I ask inquisitively, as I stood in front of her, her arms wrapped around me with her chin resting on my shoulder "like...girls?" My voice is small and I know I shouldn't ask, but the image of her sizing up other women, determining who's pretty and who's beautiful, it made me sick to my stomach.

I didn't really want to see her looking at another person the way she looked at me.

She chuckles, pushing her glasses onto her head and placing the papers on the bed. "My Dolly, not everything is about women. Come here" she pulls me closer with one hand, while pushing the mess she'd made on her bed to the side.

"My darling, my sweet, you don't need to worry. You remember what I told you?" She reaches out a hand and pulls me up to her.

"Yes" I answer quietly, as I climb up onto her lap, my small form fitting nicely while she wraps her arms around me, her chin resting on the top of my head as my own head rested on her chest. I could hear the steady beat of her heart under my ear, and it took all of my effort to not audibly sigh in content.

"You're like something I've never seen before; made for me, even. I couldn't do better if I tried. You are gorgeous in every single way, Amelia" her voice whispers in my ear, her breath hitting my neck and sending shivers down my spine.

There she goes, making me feel that funny feeling again. The feeling only she could coax out of the deepest recesses of me.

"I don't normally pick out my own girls" she continues, her voice almost a murmur "I have people for that. But for you know who I did pick?" She doesn't give me time to answer before she leans in impossibly closer, her lips touching my ear now as I relax into her.

"You. I chose you"

~

It was dark in the club, save for the beams and streams of lights that changed to the beat of the music; a faint smell of cigarettes and whiskey filled the air, mixed with the smell of Chanel No. 5 and dark coffee.

A club night catered to rich people gave off an interesting ambiance.

Arizona, wearing a long, deep v-neck red dress that tied around her neck and cinched at her waist, walked with my hand in her own, her four inch red bottom heels clacking on the ground below her. Her hair was curled and left loose around her shoulders, making her look like an absolute goddess. The smoky eye makeup she'd done all but took my breath away, as her crystal blue eyes looked even more mysterious, even more gorgeous, from between two dark lids.