Chapter 8 ~ He Didn't See Me

"Alright. Who's going first?" Hermione asked us the next day as the four of us were outside with the locket.

"I'll go first," Harry and I said at the same time. We looked at each other, then I decided to let Harry go first.

He grabbed his wand from his back pocket and pointed it at the locket on the ground. "Dissendium!" he shouted.

We went to see if the locket was destroyed, but it was still there, as if it was untouched.

"Incendio!" Hermione tried, sending the locket up in flames. But like last time, the locket looked like it hadn't been messed with.

"Expulso!" I yelled, making the locket fly into the air.

I got the same result as last time. I also noticed that the locket made this chattering noise, which was really annoying.

"Diffindo!" Harry shouted. Nothing. "Reducto!" Still nothing. Getting frustrated, he fired every spell at the locket. Each spell was a little bit stronger than the one before.

"Stop it, Harry! Clearly, shooting spells at the locket isn't going to destroy it," I told him. "Besides, if you keep shooting fire at it, you might burn the entire forest down."

He stopped, panting and staring down at the locket. He picked it up and placed the necklace around his neck, tucking it inside his shirt.

"What are you doing?" Hermione asked.

"We have to keep it safe until we find out how to destroy it," he replied.

"Seems strange, mate. Dumbledore sends you two off to find all these Horcruxes, but he doesn't tell you how to destroy them. Doesn't that bother you two?" Ron questioned.

"Believe me, Ron, a lot of things bother me," I said.

Harry just stared at Ron for a moment, then huffed a sigh and walked away. I followed him down a hill and watched as he sat down. I went over to him and sat down beside him.

"You don't have to get angry, you know," I told him.

"I'm not angry, Max," he said.

"Oh, really?" I raised my eyebrows at him.

He sighed in defeat. "Okay, yes, I'm angry," he admitted. "I'm angry because we have no idea how to destroy this stupid locket."

"Well, stop acting like we won't figure it out, because we will," I assured him. "Maybe the things Dumbledore left us in his will are clues to how we can destroy the Horcruxes."

Harry scoffed. "Yeah, right. How is a Deluminator, a children's book, a Snitch, and a charm for a bracelet going to help us?" he snapped at me.

"Well, whatever reason we got those things, it's up to us to figure out why they're important. Just stop taking out your anger on everyone else."

"I'm not taking my anger out on everyone else!" he shouted at me.

"Yes, you are! You're doing it now!" I retorted, making my point. "You need to calm down and stop overthinking about the Horcruxes, Harry. I know we don't have forever to figure this out, but we just need to give it some time." I sighed and shook my head. "I've never seen you so frustrated and impatient in my entire life."

Harry didn't say anything back. He got up and walked back to the tent, so I decided not to go after him. I wasn't sure how his mood changed from being happy last night to being grumpy the next day. It was like he was on his period.

Boys these days.

After my argument with Harry, I headed back to the tent and did my best to stay away from him.