rivalry

It was a one time collaboration

It was a one time collaboration. Then Bill wasn't doing it again. He wouldn't deal with these brats in any other situation.

Usually they fought over their work. The Falls gang take some jobs, the Cypher family others. They had their quirks.

The Cyphers were rich, could pull a few strings within the legislature. The Falls were less extravagant, but blended in well, and got the job done with as few stares as possible.

The Cyphers were selective, sticking within their family, and most loyal and expendable staff. They were far and few between. The Falls had many loyal connections and branches of dear friends and allies. They were easy to find in a pinch, unlike their reclusive enemies.

But the most important difference, is that the Cyphers seemed to posses a sort of magic touch. They could convince anyone to pay any price to be duped, anyone to jump on command, anyone to merely do their bidding.

The Falls have tried duplicating this effect, but they always take longer to achieve results. Thus, all the richest clients prefer the Cyphers.

However, this didn't matter now. What did matter, is the almighty leaders of the Falls were missing. Without them, all but the most daring, the most loyal, and the most stupid were left behind to save them. All the others had flown to the winds. This left Soos, Dipper, Mable and Wendy.

Bill wouldn't care, except Kill, Will and a few of their staff have also gone missing, and the notes at each crime scene suggest it was the same person. Bill would track them down on his own, but as the middle brother he didn't have the same intimidation as Kill, nor Will's shy charm. He was the brains, not the brawn.

(TL;DR: Gang Au, "Falls Gang" is just the pines and co, "Cypher Family" is Bill, Will, Kill and others. Stan, Stanford, Kill and Will have been kidnapped. Bill has to help the others.)

Thus, a Cypher had to help the scraggly remnants of the Falls gang.

None of them were willing at first, but Dipper was the one who convinced them, shockingly. He wasn't as annoying as the others.