The Meaning of Empathy

"Human talking"

'Human thinking'

"Talking in a Flashback/Memory"

"Pokémon talking"

---

Pallet Town, Kanto

"Well, there it is."

Ash gazed over the pure-white buildings adorned with bright red roofs of his hometown that he could see in the distance. He and Pikachu stood atop a hill that unofficially marked Route 1's separation point between Viridian City and Pallet Town. "Can't believe how far we've gotten when we're barely started," Ash murmured.

"Pika..." Pikachu quietly squeaked in agreement.

"The two of us left home for the first time 7 years ago. Back then, I was a complete idiot who didn't know a thing about Pokémon or what being a Trainer meant."

Pikachu nodded. He could definitely attest to that.

Ash narrowed his eyes at his best friend, pretending to be hurt. "It didn't help that I had a starter who wanted nothing to do with me," he added while Pikachu laughed heartedly. "But still..." His mind shifted to his life and journey from then on up until this point.

Watching all those Pokémon battles on TV when he was 7, and then actually experiencing Pokémon in a close capacity in Professor Oak's camp at 8, and finally embarking on his journey with Pikachu at 10.

He remembered all the comrades he met along the way, and the competitions he fought in and grew from: the Indigo League when he was 11, and the Orange League a few months after that. Journeying to Johto and taking part in the Silver Conference at age 12, before moving on to Hoenn and fighting in the Ever Grande Conference when he turned 13 and climbing his way to the top of the Battle Frontier soon after. And that life-risking hell of an adventure up to the Lily of the Valley Conference in Sinnoh when he was 14 before being humbled in Unova at the Vertress Conference a year later.

And then, of course, what he thought as the turning point – his run in the Lumiose Conference, where at 16 he had just barely lost to Alain for the title of champion, only to claim the honor of the first Champion of the Alola League soon after.

And to top it all off, he had traveled around the world and met fierce opponents, the most powerful in the world, during the Pokémon World Coronation Series. Now, here he was, the new World Champion... what a hell of a ride.

"And I'm still green."

"Pi?" Pikachu turned to look at his friend.

"Champion or not, we're not even close to finished yet. There are still more Trainers I wanna fight, and new Pokémon waiting to be found. I'm still a long way away from being a Master." Ash let his fingers reach the brim of his cap, a smirk etched on his face. "That's why I can't relax or be satisfied, not until I can reach all those Pokémon, not until I know that I'm the very best, like no one ever was." Quite suddenly, he spun his cap backwards, mimicking his actions from when he was younger and full of energy.

"Pi-ka..." Pikachu's cheeks sparked slightly, but fiercely. Just like his Trainer, he too was bursting with passion and excitement at the new challenges ahead. With a love for battle and adventure rivaling that of Ash's, Pikachu could hardly wait for their next journey, wherever it took them and whatever the challenges they would face.

"Alright, bud." Ash eyed Pikachu, recognizing his eagerness. "Let's get a move on." He extended his arm to let Pikachu run and jump off it. "Last one there's a rotten egg!" He declared as he raced his friend back home.