Chap 12 Human Fertiliser

Itachi is an amazing shogi opponent for Kana.

He may be a prodigy and a genius, but Kana found his intelligence much more easier to catch up unlike those of an experienced shinobu adult. He was still a year younger than her, but she knew that it's only a matter of time before he starts wiping her ass clean off the game.

Other than the moments he's with Fugaku to train with him or himself, he would be playing shogi with her while also practicing their chakra.

A few days after learning the leaf control exercise, her senseis had taught her the tree walking technique. But Inochi had also given her some scrolls and books on early ninja learning, like learning the handsigns, chakra natures and stuffs like that. It wouldn't be long before he give her books about the history of chakra and ninjas.

Luckily, her chakra control was at her advantage, so she has more time on advancing on reading about the shinobi arts.

Going back to the main topic, Itachi is an amazing opponent. But sometimes he doesn't have that much time. He's still a four year old child, and a child requires sleep and proper rest after working too hard, even if he's a prodigy and a genius.

Which is how Kana stumbled into another child prodigy near the Naka river laying face-down on dirt.

"Oi." She poke his head with a stick. "Shisui-san. Don't sleep like that. That's disgusting."

His amazing response was muffled groans.

She tilted her head, a malicious thought coming into her mind.

"Alright, your choice," She said, plopping beside him and setting up her shogi board. Hosu made his way onto her lap. "Don't blame me once ants and worms slip into your eyelids and start devouring you from the inside."

He shot up with a satisfying screech, and Hosu can only deadpan as she started cackling.

"Kana-san!" He flustered. "That's so mean! It's only our second meeting and you're giving me scary images already!"

"Its not my fault you look that close to being a human fertilizer." Kana said to him unimpressed. He's all cut up and dirty, he really do looks almost dead laying there. She's guessing he's been training for hours, seeing how his chakra was now down to half. She guestured to the board. "Enough training for today. Play with me." She said.

He brightened up, and he was sitting opposite to her in an instant. "Ohhh shogi. I haven't played shogi in a while." He said, before deflating a bit. "Only one game though. I have to get ready to meet with my team soon." He said, almost sadly.

Kana nodded in understanding, making her first move. "I hope it's not more training." She said dryly. "Or I'll make sure to have spiders eating away your skin."

Shisui shivered. "Kana-san!" He pouted as she snorted. "Lucky for me it's not training. Just a mission." He said almost smugly.

She moved her Bishop. "Where?"

Shisui moved his Rook. "Outside the village."

Kana stiffened. "Outside? In this time of war?" Hosu buried his snout on her stomach, and Kana gratefully scratched the back of his ears as she forced herself to relax.

Shisui gave her a short glance, before giving his full attention to the game. "Yeah, at the south borders."

Kana has to clamp her mouth shut after that. He was clearly uncomfortable on talking about it, but that did nothing to the growing spite she felt at the adults and grownups.

The south boarders are not that close to Kumo and Iwa, but it is still pretty close to Iwa all things considered. That doesn't make anything better.

They're sending this child, and possible more children, in war. They may not be sending him at the frontlines, but this is just plain wrong.

'Child soldiers. Tools. Killing machines.'

'They're supposed to have a happy childhood, dammit. Not wars and risking their fucking lives. This world is too fucking messed up.'

"How long?"

Shisui blink at her owlishly. "Huh?"

"How long is your mission?" She asked, not taking her glaze off the game.

"Probably a month or two." He answered.

"Checkmate."

He sputtered. "Ho–wait whAT?"

She smirked, leaning back on her arms. "You're older, but you're easier to beat than Itachi-kun." She snickered.

"That's so mean, Kana-san." He pouted, and he's even much offended when Hosu snorted too. "Even you, little pal?"

"This is Hosu, my loyal little furball." Hosu look too much proud on being called a furball. "And I think Kana is fine. The honorifics are getting weird for me." She said with a grimace.

He agreed solemnly, stating that he can be called without the damn honorific too. He insisted to call her Kana-chan though. So she'll call him Shisui-chan.

"Well," He stood up stretching, "The game was fun! But I still need to change to meet my team. I'm starting to smell weird." He scrunch up his nose.

"That's the smell of tiny cockroaches and alligator insects crawling up your spine to mangle your body," She chirped.

Shisui shuddered at the thought of cockroaches. And what the even hell are alligator insects?? "Kana-chaaan " He whined.

"Go on or you'll be late." She chuckled.

Shisui hesitated, watching her packing up the board. "I'll see you around then..?" He said.

Before he can shunshin away, she called once again, "Shisui-chan."

He blink. "Yes?"

She hummed.

"I'll be waiting here in the next month."

He look stunned at first, before his face lightened up so bright, a large smile appearing on his face. "I'll be here!" He laughed. And with a last happy wave, he disappeared.

Kana stared at where he had been for a moment, before she slowly curled around Hosu and clutched him on her. Hosu meowed in worry.

It was so painful, just remembering how happy and hopeful the boy looked after hearing that someone will be waiting for him. He looked like he haven't heard of someone waiting for him for a long time, and was so fucking glad that she did before a possibly dangerous mission.

Other than his team, does this boy even have friends? Friends to depends on, friends to be your support? He looks to be training for hours already for the whole day, and it seems to be normal for him.

She let go of the worried Hosu, walking closer to the Naka river and slowly doing hand signs she was truly familiar with. Hosu watched stunned after recognizing the handsigns, a technique no one had taught her yet.

'The boy had grown up as a happy-go-lucky and a merciful ninja. But before he met Itachi, where was he at that time? Training? On a mission during war? On an assassination mission? Dealing with the grief and burden alone?'

She finished the handsigns, and with a burst of pure chakra, she exhaled a huge ball of fire.

"A friend, huh..."

She'll make sure he won't be alone anymore.

"Fire release: Great Fireball Jutsu."