possibilities

Two days later, Florence knocked on Betty's door. She wanted to go the day before but she was scared her grandma would not approve. She felt her Nana was watching her every move from afar and it was like the old lady's eyes could burn her back. She didn't want to see her neighbor feeling down.

But Betty wouldn't mind at all. She had hoped the city girl would come as soon as she could. It was a bliss to be with her.

The redheaded girl just wanted to be bolder, maybe even dare a kiss. She could smell Florence's lips. They probably tasted like raspberry, the girl's favorite fruit.

She couldn't try it though. She couldn't be the first one to make a move. She wanted Florence to feel welcome to her and come slowly, as one does when they're scared to fall in love.

Betty didn't know if she was scared. Maybe fear wasn't the right word for it. She longed for Florence's hands on her waist, on her neck, on her skin – and she wasn't afraid to admit it. She knew it was more than a friendship, what she wanted with the city girl. Looking at her, all she saw was possibility. Possibility for a better future and for true, crazy, incandescent love – something she never expected to find.

Her whole world was confined to the countryside. She recognized it was a pretty peaceful setting to live the rest of her life; she heard the city was dangerous and loud - far too loud. Used to the birds singing in the morning, she could not imagine a life where she'd wake up with people screaming their stress away.

Nonetheless, she didn't quite picture herself like her parents. She didn't see herself still living in that cottage as she got older or taking care of the property after they were long gone and underground. It wasn't even that big of a property and she couldn't experiment with the earth as much as she'd like. What's the point of staying somewhere if you can't grow there?

At the same time, she had absolutely no plans. How could she even try to get out of there? Should she study in the city? But she was a terrible student and probably wouldn't get accepted in any good schools. Where could she get work? She had no impressive skills to show to any business owners and she'd be rejected.

She found herself at a crossroads. Why is it that we have to make such terrible decisions when we're so young and know nothing about the world or even about ourselves?

Betty didn't know who she was supposed to be. On the other hand, Florence knew exactly who she was supposed to be, and that inspired her neighbor to be better. The redheaded girl felt like the city girl deserved better and she wanted to be that for her. She wanted to be enough for that pretty girl.

Betty wished she had plans to see the world as the other girl did.

Maybe she wasn't even destined to be someone who'd grow. Maybe she was like a tree, firm and steady in just one place. Maybe she wasn't supposed to fly far, far away.

But, oh!, how she'd love to. Even if it was only to look at the other girl make all her dreams come true. To support her and to love her.

When she finally saw Florence again after their picnic, she was delighted. Hearing the knocks on the door made her heart skip a beat.

"Hey!", said the city girl. Her hair was curled up in a knot and she looked like she had just run a marathon: her cheeks were as red as the cherries her grandma grew in her garden, and sweat ran down her forehead.

She looked fantastic as if the wilderness had just touched her soul.

"Hi", Betty sighed. How could someone be so breathtakingly beautiful?

Florence walked in as if the house was already hers and sat on the couch. Almost instantaneously, Oliver sat on her lap. The redheaded girl couldn't believe it, because he honestly hated everyone. The orange cat wouldn't even sit close to her mother.

"He really likes you", she said, smiling.

"Good, because I like him too", the other girl answered.

Betty sat by her side and felt an urge to put her head on the girl's shoulders, but she didn't have the courage to do it. Florence, however, pulled herself closer and closer to the girl.

Her parents weren't home. They had gone to the city to do some business and left the girl by herself. Since she didn't have any close friends, they trusted her to be fine on her own until they came back. Little did they know not only their little girl had a friend now, but she also had a crush.

Betty laid her hand on the cat's fur, hoping Florence's hand would touch hers by accident. She felt ridiculous even doing that as if she was just a kid who never had contact with anyone other than her family. But the truth was, Florence had an effect on her no one ever had. Her hands shook every moment the city girl was close. She didn't know how to stop that.

Florence took the bait and held her shaking hand.

"Are you nervous, dear?"

"You make me nervous."

"What can I do for you to stop shaking?"

Betty knew exactly what to say, even though she couldn't imagine those words falling from her lips. It was far too forward. But her shyness didn't stop her then. It was like her heart had taken over her.

"Hold me."

"Gladly."

Florence proceeded to put her hand behind her neighbor's head and pull her closer. Betty smelled like sunflowers and tasted like cinnamon.