harmony

The movie told a story about an artist who loved her muse, but couldn't be with her due to the times they lived in. It was as beautiful as it was heartbreaking and Betty cried. Florence, on the other hand, focused on making the other girl smile again instead of over analyzing what they had just seen.

They held hands until the train station. The skies have cleared and the only rain left was the water that had landed on the grass and the pavement. The sun was shining bright again, as it would in that place in the world.

Both girls had had so much fun that day, they felt almost nostalgic for its end that was upon them. They wished they could just go home to each other, as they'd be able to if they were a bit older and wiser. But, for some reason, they weren't completely melancholic, even after the movie they've watched. They knew that day, the two of them during that summer, would live on as stories they'd tell for the people around them. That was never going to be forgotten. In rainy days, they would reminisce about each other with a glass of wine on their hands. They'd close their eyes and let themselves cry to match the clouds.

But, for that moment, they needed to hold their pain to be able to enjoy their present. At that moment, they just needed to feel the warmth of each other's fingertips and the sweet taste of each other's lips. If they were to stress themselves with what would happen with autumn's arrival, they wouldn't enjoy that beautiful thing they had right there.

At least that was what they wanted to believe. Maybe, if the two girls could stop themselves from asking bigger questions, they could see that lovely summer thing in a practical way – they could see it as just a lovely summer thing.

Anytime Betty thought about it, she felt like she couldn't control the tears in her eyes. Especially after that beautiful day, with a tragic movie ending, she couldn't help but wonder if theirs would be as sad. Or if there was going to be an end at all.

She had told Florence that she should focus on her dreams, whatever they'd be. However, since she said that, she felt like her heart was shattering in a million little pieces.

She wouldn't accept that that beautiful girl would ever think about staying in the countryside or in that country, for that matter, just for her. Florence had a whole future ahead of her, a brilliant one, and for her to be even a slight part of the reason why she'd stay was unfair. They had only met for a few months and she shouldn't toss her future away for that.

Betty wanted to talk about it. But she knew it'd only ruin what they had that day, so she had to swallow all the words that were stuck in her throat. So she took some deep breaths while they were heading to the train station, with her head on her girlfriend's shoulder.

Even with all that, she was grateful. How could she not be? The sun was setting behind them and the skies were a mixture of blue, pink and orange. Her skin reflected those colors as a canvas and Florence's eyes looked even shinier too. The taste of coffee, ice cream and popcorn lingered in their mouths. The words "I love you" marked on their skins.

Walking around that town, they saw families walk back into their homes as it got dark. Small colorful houses that occupied the whole way until the train station. There were kids happy about dinner everywhere, with their fathers baking bread and mother putting on some soothing music. Cats running around town to look for dinner. Teenagers looking for fun.

Florence bought them their tickets home and they sat at the station, waiting for the train to come. There were only them in that lonely station, but for some reason it wasn't as terrifying as they thought it'd be. It was a safe town and they were together. They held hands while to the wind blew the tree leaves, making them fall. Some of them were already colored orange.

Suddenly, the city girl started to sing. Her voice reverberated in the ceiling of the empty station. Betty wanted to have her guitar to accompany that beautiful melody but since she didn't she also started to sing. Florence's voice was deeper and more mellow, whilst Betty's was higher and more fragile. It was a well-known song, about wanting to leave society's expectations of happiness and success to be together with your one true love. After they finished making their voices harmonize, Florence looked at Betty and smiled.

"You're my best friend."

The redheaded girl had tears in her eyes that fell through her cheeks. She couldn't hold it in anymore but there were no words. She was just so terribly in love with that girl and she couldn't understand how the heavens she was worthy of that honor.

Florence put a hand on her girl's face and shed a tear. She felt the same, the absolute same. But she couldn't make sense of her own thoughts to be able to realize it. She just knew what they had was incredible. Out of this world. And it was unfortunate they had not met before, lifetimes before.

"You're my best friend too", Betty said, finally.